5i25/7i77 communications error 7 and 14

More
16 Dec 2016 17:13 #84280 by cmtunnel
Ok. I have cleaned everything and put in a new riser without the two places and I'm still having the same problem. The error message above is what I get still if I leave it long enough to cut out by itself....if I get the error by wiggling the card/riser I get the same result but the error messages are different....I mention this just in case it's another problem causing this. Right now it seems like the pci socket in the pc that is the loosest..but I don't have to wiggle it for the machine to cut out...it just does it after a while. Would a ribbon connector do well?...need something that sits in there tighter if that is the problem....still not sure. Is there another way to find out what is making the watchdog bite??
The following user(s) said Thank You: PCW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2016 17:31 #84281 by PCW
Hard to tell is its a real watchdog bite or if there's just a communication error
with the PCI card

I would try a different PC temporarily (without a riser)
as a way to isolate the trouble to PC or 5I25

More
14 Jan 2017 17:28 #85760 by cmtunnel
i now have the pc case chopped up so I can put the card in without the riser. I am still having the problem although it may be less often I can't tell yet. I can actually move the card around in the slot without any error so I am wondering if the pci connection is the problem or not at this point....could there be something up with the 5i25?

More
14 Jan 2017 17:41 #85761 by PCW
all of your error listings have this:
hm2/hm2_5i25.0: Watchdog has bit! (set the .has-bit pin to False to resume)

This means that the sserial errors dont meant anything really they are just a side effect of
the watchdog turning off all I/O pins (or possibly just losing all comms with the PCI card)

This may be OS related (did you run a servo thread only latency test?)

I could also indicate that your 3.3V power is low enough to reset the 5I25 (check with a voltmeter)
If the 5i25 is reset by low 3.3V you would need to reboot to recover so thats a diagnostic

More
14 Jan 2017 18:00 #85765 by tommylight
Change the computer. Much cheaper and easier.
I had sserial errors with a Mesa 7i76E when running from a Lenovo T420S every 2 to 5 minutes, although the latency with Preemt-RT was good, and after several restarts of linuxcnc it would stop erroring and run hapily for hours. So i took that same SSD and put it in a Dell E6510 that has far worst latency, same instalation, it never stops comunication, ever. Ocasionaly i get an error about something or another, but never complete communication failure, so i never have to restart linuxcnc.
This is all for testing purposes, using 7i76E, have no problems with 7i92 and 7i77 but i have nothing connected to 7i77, just sitting idle and turning spindle on and off.
I would have changed the computer and moved on, preferably an older one.

More
14 Jan 2017 18:34 #85767 by cmtunnel
I'm running the latency tester now. I got a huge number a little while ago but don't know what caused it. You may be on to something with that. Are there specific things I should look for?

More
14 Jan 2017 18:41 #85768 by PCW
Really huge spikes are often power management related
( Turn off all CPU power management options, clock speed switching and CStates > C1 )
also idle=poll in the kernel command line often helps

More
14 Jan 2017 18:52 #85770 by cmtunnel
Got a link for the kernel change?....I have no idea how to go about it.

More
14 Jan 2017 18:58 #85771 by tommylight
They can be also caused by hardware faults, i still have a Dell Ltitude 6500 that has problems with nvidia graphic card causing huge spikes in latency and a mess when used for software stepping ( max velocity 300mm/minute with it, 1800mm/minute with anothe laptop on the same mill).
A long time ago had a desktop that took 25 minutes to start and starting any program would last forever, turned out the onboard sound card was gone the way of the dodo bird, even disabling it in bios did not fix it, it got to be usable with an add on sound card, but still to slow.
That is something that can be caused by any hardware that use IRQ's, power supply with dried out capacitors, bad memory etc.
Also some chipsets had huge problems that are not obvious during normal usage, namely Ali and Oli chipsets and rarely VIA. Havent seen much of them lately, but you should check just in case.

More
14 Jan 2017 19:02 #85772 by cmtunnel
It's an asus j1800 so it's pretty stripped down.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds