Newbie: connect servo drive to computer cheap

More
15 Dec 2016 02:40 #84139 by vasiliy
Hi all.
I'm absolute newbie to CNC world and to tinkering with electronics. (hope not for long)
I would like to start building my 1st small CNC routing table.
I'm thinking, for starters, I'll buy 1 servo drive and figure out how to control it from my linux box.
Baby steps. Don't want to invest/attempt too much and quit in the middle.
I will run LinuxCNC of cause.
So, from what I've googled, I can use servos like ClearPath SD (please suggest better ones if you know them).
Can those be hoked up directly to parallel port without additional electronics? I've read that parallel ports are not that fast, but they will do as proof of concept, baby steps again :)
Also can anyone suggest a way to acquire or build power supply, without breaking the bank?

Thank you guys for your support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2016 10:20 #84153 by andypugh
Step/dir servo drives can be connected directly to a parallel port.
Servo drives that require a +/- 10V analogue voltage for velocity command are rather more difficult to control with a parport. It can be done, in principle, with fairly simple circuitry, but I have never tried it.
There is the Pluto Servo board that would do it for you, but be warned that these may or may not work with any particular parallel port.

More
15 Dec 2016 14:07 #84163 by vasiliy
Thank you for reply
So I'm looking at CPM-SDSK-2310S-RLN.
Specification says: "Logic Input Voltage Range 4.0 to 28 VDC".
And I think parallel port has 5V. Does that mean I can do without any additional circuitry?
Any other issues I should worry about? Like excessive currents ? Or putting it in another words, is connecting directly a dumb idea?

More
15 Dec 2016 14:37 #84166 by andypugh

And I think parallel port has 5V. Does that mean I can do without any additional circuitry?

It will depend on if the parallel port is a true-5V one, or a 5V-tolerant 3.3V one.

is connecting directly a dumb idea?

I have done it. There is some risk of damaging the port, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vasiliy

More
15 Dec 2016 14:37 - 15 Dec 2016 14:40 #84167 by Todd Zuercher
Those Clear Path motors/drives (They are a motor with drive built in.) can be driven directly from a parallel port, but using a breakout board is advisable. If for no other reason than to give you an easy way to connect cables together. But isolation and voltage correction (converting a 3.3v signal to true 5v) are worthwhile benefits that an inexpensive breakout board can offer.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2016 14:40 by Todd Zuercher.

More
15 Dec 2016 17:14 - 15 Dec 2016 17:15 #84206 by lincamx
No need of proof of concept , They work quit well, I have the CPM-SDSK-2310S-RQN, 1/4 inch shaft.
I recommend using a break out board so your PP or computer does not get damage if something goes wrong.
I also recommend getting a power supply that will run them at full voltage 75vdc, I would get at the minimum of 10 amp so you will have some over head.
This is what I have. with the 5 and 24 volt option.
No since sending $$$ twice , Only if you want to.
www.antekinc.com/ps-8n77-800w-77v-power-supply/

Thank you for reply
So I'm looking at CPM-SDSK-2310S-RLN.
Any other issues I should worry about? Like excessive currents ? Or putting it in another words, is connecting directly a dumb idea?

Last edit: 15 Dec 2016 17:15 by lincamx.

More
16 Dec 2016 05:04 #84250 by vasiliy

Those Clear Path motors/drives (They are a motor with drive built in.) can be driven directly from a parallel port, but using a breakout board is advisable. If for no other reason than to give you an easy way to connect cables together. But isolation and voltage correction (converting a 3.3v signal to true 5v) are worthwhile benefits that an inexpensive breakout board can offer.

Silly me. Turns out my computer does not have parallel port. Lol, when those stopped being standard?!?
Breakout board its is. An recommendations?

More
16 Dec 2016 05:07 #84251 by vasiliy

No need of proof of concept , They work quit well, I have the CPM-SDSK-2310S-RQN, 1/4 inch shaft.
I recommend using a break out board so your PP or computer does not get damage if something goes wrong.
I also recommend getting a power supply that will run them at full voltage 75vdc, I would get at the minimum of 10 amp so you will have some over head.
This is what I have. with the 5 and 24 volt option.
No since sending $$$ twice , Only if you want to.
www.antekinc.com/ps-8n77-800w-77v-power-supply/

Thank you for references.
Can you please elaborate why 1/4" shaft is proffered?
Also why 2310S moles is used vs 2310P or 2310D? Is it because of more torque?

More
16 Dec 2016 05:55 - 16 Dec 2016 06:01 #84252 by lincamx
[Thank you for references.
Can you please elaborate why 1/4" shaft is proffered?
Also why 2310S moles is used vs 2310P or 2310D? Is it because of more torque? ]

I am using this one with 1/4 shaft for my "Z" axis And when I purchased it I saw that the 1/4 inch coupler is easier then the 3/8's coupler to get, The other two I have , have the 3/8 shaft, This is for X and Y. They are a different model #
The 3/8 shaft coupler will hold more torque.

Why the 2310S, Like you said, Yes more torque for the same $$$$$
Last edit: 16 Dec 2016 06:01 by lincamx.

More
16 Dec 2016 10:54 #84266 by andypugh

Silly me. Turns out my computer does not have parallel port. Lol, when those stopped being standard?!?
Breakout board its is. An recommendations?

You might have a 26-pin header on the motherboard but no back-panel parallel port.

Which motherboard is it?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds