Bridgeport Boss original drives

More
04 Jan 2017 17:31 #85242 by andypugh

So what controls on long each phase is on or off?

How fast you are moving.

The pattern is also related to how the phases of the stepper motor are energised.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2017 17:38 #85243 by AThayer
I can't get the axis to move at all.

More
04 Jan 2017 17:53 - 04 Jan 2017 17:54 #85244 by jmelson

So what controls on long each phase is on or off?

How fast you are moving.

The pattern is also related to how the phases of the stepper motor are energised.

OK, so the drive transistors are to stay on in their respective state until the next step is made. But, there's more. The Bridgeport drives have a magnetic amplifier (saturable reactor) that drops the voltage to the motor to a low value when moving at very low speeds or standing still. These drives have no resistance other than the motor winding, and apply a pretty high voltage from the transformer. There is a transistor (one per axis) that sends current through a small winding on the saturable reactor to saturate the core with a magnetic field. When this transistor is on and the core saturated, the full supply voltage is delivered to the drive. So, you need some circuit with a delay to shut the transistor off when standing still for a moment, but to turn it on immediately when a step is requested.

As for the 2-wires or 4-wires, the computer could drive them with just two signals. You would then need external circutry to convert each phase signal into two complementary signals for the two transistors. You should also add some RC-diode delays so that the transistor that is to be turned off shuts off immediately, but the transistor that is to be turned on has a delay of somewhere between 10 us to 100 us. This is to prevent the transistor that is going off to try to short the transformer action through the windings from the transistor turning on.

Also, know that the Bridgeport drives are absolutely HORRIBLE, very poor electrical and thermal design from the early 1960's. Every possible "disease" of early stepper drives is manifested in them. Almost any modern stepper drive will greatly outperform them. Microstepping was the greatest advance, as a good microstepping drive gets rid of the resonance issues that plague full- and half-step drives.

Jon
Last edit: 04 Jan 2017 17:54 by jmelson. Reason: wrong word

More
04 Jan 2017 18:09 #85245 by AThayer
OK so I have a breakout board that is controlling 817 optocouplers. There are three wires that come from the stepper controllers per axis. One of the wires is a ground that is connected to one of the other wires via optocoupler. Same for the other wire. My understanding is that if you control optocouplers with a phase A phase B waveform the stepper motor will step. Direction is based on leading phase. Please correct any misunderstanding on my part.

More
05 Jan 2017 02:23 #85267 by jmelson
Has this machine already been retrofitted by somebody? It sounds like it, as my understanding of the original BOSS control was there were 5 wires per axis. One for each drive transistor, and one for the magamp transistor.

Jon

More
05 Jan 2017 02:31 #85268 by AThayer
No it's all original. If you google converting boss to mach3 it will show you. My understanding is there are 3 wires per axis on k8. Thank you for trying to help.

More
05 Jan 2017 16:29 #85296 by AThayer
I think I see what I have done wrong. I am only providing the low for the signal to the SMD board.

More
06 Jan 2017 22:56 #85367 by AThayer
Does anyone know if I measure voltage across pin 1 ground and pin 2 to ground on K8 what I should see. I think I should see 24 volts but I'm not sure.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds