Mesa 7i77 output

More
05 Jan 2017 21:54 #85307 by Tom_R2E3
Mesa 7i77 output was created by Tom_R2E3
I have a problem with the coolant pump circuit on my mill. I am using Mesa 5i25 + 7i77 on a Bridgeport Boss 8 which I finished converting a couple of years ago. I have a push button linked to a field input on the 7i77, then a field out drives a 24v relay which operates my 240v coolant pump. The functionality used to work, but occasionally gave the error shown in the attached image.

I asked on this forum at the time and PCW suggested the relay arcing was causing EMI, and that I should have arc suppression across my relays. Stupidly, at the time I did nothing, then left the machine for a couple of years. When I used it again this morning, after turning on the coolant pump I could not turn it off. Hal Show, shows the signal turning on and off when I press the button, but the output of the 7i77 is 24v constantly. As a test, I moved the wire to a different output on the 7i77 and updated the HAL file. Same thing happened again, and now both outputs are 24V constantly. Assuming these two problems are related, have I damaged the 7i77?? All other pins are still working.

Some quick googling "arc suppression" suggests a small resistor in series with a capacitor, connected across the relays. Can anyone suggest what value components to use?

Many thanks,
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2017 22:15 #85308 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i77 output
There are actually two separate issues here

1. Relay contacts that switch significant inductive loads should have arc suppression devices across the contacts
if you don't have arc suppression you will generate large EMI pulses whenever the relay disconnects the load
this is not like to damage the 7I77 however

2. If the relay is large enough (>60 ma), it needs to have a flyback diode across its coil
You may have damaged the driver circuit on the 7I77 if you switched a larger inductive load
without a flyback diode.

More
05 Jan 2017 22:32 - 05 Jan 2017 22:34 #85309 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Mesa 7i77 output
A diode across the coil of the relay will protect the 7i77 from spikes or as you say a snubber circuit on the motor side will protect the relay contacts which sounds like to me has been welded together... .1uf cap and 120 ohn resister works with most cases but there is a calculation that can be done. You need to know the motor inductance.

A solid state relay would work the best.

Cycle the power of the 7i77 and the computer and disconnect the relay. Power up, and check your outputs then if they dont come on I would say you burnt the outputs. PCW can confirm that.

Just my 2 cents.

oops, PCW already answered it....
Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 22:34 by bevins.

More
05 Jan 2017 22:34 #85310 by Tom_R2E3
Replied by Tom_R2E3 on topic Mesa 7i77 output
Hi, and thanks for such a fast response.

This is the relay i'm using

I've attached an image of the wiring diagram, it shows a diode across the coil, so I guess it's already built in?
Attachments:

More
05 Jan 2017 22:43 #85313 by bevins
14ma relay and it already has a diode across it.

looks like to me that relay is getting hammered from the 220. Probably needs a snubber circuit.

More
06 Jan 2017 10:38 #85328 by Tom_R2E3
Replied by Tom_R2E3 on topic Mesa 7i77 output
Hi.

I power cycled the PC and machine this morning, but sadly nothing changed. As soon as I power the machine on I get 24v on the output pin of the 7i77. I think I have damaged it.

More
06 Jan 2017 14:09 #85340 by bevins

Hi.

I power cycled the PC and machine this morning, but sadly nothing changed. As soon as I power the machine on I get 24v on the output pin of the 7i77. I think I have damaged it.

you get 24v only on the one output? all the others are ok? If so, switch outputs and declare that output defective.

More
06 Jan 2017 15:28 #85343 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Mesa 7i77 output
Check your relay, maybe it has failed in some way or your wiring might have a short somewhere that it is killing your outputs.

More
06 Jan 2017 15:31 #85345 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Mesa 7i77 output
If you have a bad driver output, the whole NCV7608 chip
has got one foot on a banana peel, best to replace it

You should also check carefully if any other loads on that
chip could be missing flyback diodes, I dont think EMI
could damage a driver chip unless it was pretty horrendous

More
06 Jan 2017 16:07 #85348 by bevins
That terminal shows a diode is internal to the terminal from what I see.

I have some outputs on my VMC that energizes a relay and I have diode on it, and when I release the relay, the 7i77 locks up and i have to cycle power. I put snubber circuit on the contact side of the relay and it fixed the issue. It is however a highly inductive load and I am probably lucky the 7i77 lived through it.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds