Mesa 5i25 & 7i76 to GE Af-300 VFD?

More
17 Mar 2017 01:22 #89795 by panchula
I did get it wired using two relays, practically identical to the wiring diagram in your post. I ended up using a DPDT for the enable so I could incorporate the enable to control other functions dependent on the spindle running -- lube pump, air motor speed adjust of the varispeed head, etc.

-Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2017 09:02 #89805 by andypugh

I ended up using a DPDT for the enable so I could incorporate the enable to control other functions dependent on the spindle running -- lube pump, air motor speed adjust of the varispeed head, etc.

That sort of interlocking is far easier to implement and adjust in the HAL layer than with actual wires and relays. (though it may not seem that way if you know relays but don't know HAL)

More
28 Mar 2017 00:52 #90413 by panchula
OK Andy, now you've got me thinking... is there a way to integrate the VFD and varispeed head to get a continuous (non-back geared) low to high range utilizing both?

I'm still having trouble with the spindle not responding to F9. I did a wipe and reload (2.7.0 from the ISO, 2.7.8 via update manager) of the system to clear out any cruft. Next I created a new config -- ...and have the exact same issue. One other item is I can't get the spindle encoder to be recognized. It's a Renco 100 ppr differential. I'm seeing voltages at the pins (Fluke 77) when the spindle is running. I can drag an o'scope over if I need to.
Here are my latest ini and hal files.

Any ideas?
Attachments:

More
28 Mar 2017 12:05 #90431 by andypugh

OK Andy, now you've got me thinking... is there a way to integrate the VFD and varispeed head to get a continuous (non-back geared) low to high range utilizing both?

Almost certainly, the hardest part is likely to be deciding how you want it to work.

I would guess that the ideal is to run the motor at nominal speed where possible with speed control on the varispeed, and to only go to higher or lower frequency when out of range? Or would you prefer the opposite?

I'm still having trouble with the spindle not responding to F9.

Under what circumstances? You probably need to be in manual mode, and might need to be homed for it to work.
Is it just F9 that is a problem, or can you not click in the GUI either?

One other item is I can't get the spindle encoder to be recognized. It's a Renco 100 ppr differential. I'm seeing voltages at the pins (Fluke 77) when the spindle is running.

As far as I can see the HAL wiring is correct. You should be able to Halscope the A and B inputs (but only at low encoder speed) and see them change state. The dmesg output will tell you which GPIO pins of the 5i25 the encoder is on.

More
28 Mar 2017 14:25 #90441 by PCW
You can read encoder pins directly (you dont need to figure out the GPIO pins)
they will look like this:

hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-a
hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-b
hm2_5i25.0.encoder.00.input-index

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds