7i90 questions

More
16 Jun 2017 17:05 #94601 by JR1050
Replied by JR1050 on topic 7i90 questions
The encoder works, it counts. It seems ,that axis's have to be homed in order, if you skip homing on one , the next one doesnt seem to want to search for home. Ive been trying to solve this for a while and Ive tried several different ini configs. In other machines i have done, i always put the mpg and spindle after any axis that needs to be homed, so it stands to reason if i have an encoder on joint 0, it has to have a home sequence before it will go to joint 1. Ill just put the linear axis on joint 0 ( it should then search for home), and ill use the encoder for joint 1 for the rotary position, as it doesnt need to be homed, much like a mpg or spindle Thanks, i think we will solve the problem. The new rpspi driver seems to work pretty good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2017 18:25 #94615 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic 7i90 questions
I still don't understand why the encoder needs to be assigned to an axis or joint. Just read the encoder and otherwise leave it alone.

More
16 Jun 2017 19:57 #94624 by JR1050
It shouldnt have to be assigned to a joint and I didnt have it assigned to anything and it reads as it should.

More
05 Sep 2017 21:33 #98549 by JR1050
Pcw,

I'm going to try to run a hardinge large with the pi/7i90 setup. Can you make me a set of bit files for both spi and parallel with the following
4 encoders
4 pwms
Smart serial
The machine will have two axis of movement, spindle and hand wheel . I believe that should cover it . Thanks. My employer abandoned the above setup in favor of a standard plc. In the end we got it all working and it worked well. They have yet to get the the machine working with the plc...

More
06 Sep 2017 00:24 #98560 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic 7i90 questions

Pcw,

I'm going to try to run a hardinge large with the pi/7i90 setup..

Lathe?

Gene Heskett is trying to use that combination. My impression is that it isn't that successful.

More
06 Sep 2017 03:36 #98568 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i90 questions
What pinout/daughtercards?

More
06 Sep 2017 12:52 #98577 by JR1050
7i33 for encoders
7i44 for the smart serial

Id be curious to see Genes set up. I built a semi robotic conveyor controlled by the same pi/7i90 combo with steppers, a vfd, ssi, and when i finally got a good good hm2 driver for the spi, it worked well. Its an experiment, The lathe already is running with a 5i20 and has been for years. I have a second hnc, if it works , the whole thing will go on the second machine which has yaskawa ac servos, if the pi proves incapable, then ill run the 7i90 thru the parallel port of an x86 mother board. Time will tell.

More
07 Sep 2017 21:10 #98641 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 7i90 questions
Started to make these and found out they are already there ( svss8_8 is for 1 or 2 7I33s and 1 7I44 )
The bitfiles for EPP, serial, and SPI are in the distribution zipfile

More
29 Nov 2017 04:13 #102467 by Gene1934
Replied by Gene1934 on topic 7i90 questions
Actually, except for the pi problems, its working very well running an 11x36 Sheldon. My noise problems, which were bad enough to blow some 7i90's, were completely alleviated when I did 2 things. 1. bought a separate box for the pi and 7i90, and added a 7i42TA to each 7i90 output. End of noise problems entirely. So I have a big box with a pair of toroids, one powering a 2m542 for x, and one powering a dm860 for z. The separate box for the pi and 7i90 and friends is bolted to the outside face of the bigger boxes door. I have 2 more of the mpja encoder dials mounted on the replacement apron, serving as jog dials, and running in a 100 hz thread, with a pushbutton to enable the jog dials size of jog per click to be set, tallied by some pyvcp code, one for each axis, which if I mic the cut and need to take off another 13 thou, can be dialed up via the jog dials. Dial it in, do a touch off and rerun the same code. Among other things I done all the machining to fit a new barrel on old meat in the pot, the old barrel was about shot out, the third Ackley-06 one I'd put in that action in 50+ years, but the recoil was getting to be a bit much, so this barrel is a 30 inch SS Bartlein cut rifled barrel, and I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor reamer to chamber it. Works well on paper. Should work well for venison collecting too.

The pi problem I alluded to is an architecture problem, the mouse and keyboard has to compete with lots of other data trying to get thru that internal usb-2 hub. The spi stuff to/from the machine doesn't suffer that limitation, so once the gcode is written, it runs as flawlessly as the writer can write it. If we had an adapter that converted the mouse and keyboard to use a 2nd spi port, (it has facilities for 2 or more,) that would likely be the end of that problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Genes Web page <geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds