Inexpensive USB driver board? Arduino?

More
17 Feb 2017 22:01 #88133 by spinnaker
I am am hobbyist using Linux CNC on my cheap CNC3020 to mill printed circuit boards. The CNC3020 comes with a parallel port controller. I am looking to replace the whole controller with something that runs on USB.

I am looking for a controller board for my machine that uses USB and would work with LinuxCNC,. Since this is just a hobby I don't want to spend a ton of money. I would like to keep it around $100 US if possible.

Can anyone recommend anything?

I already have an Arduino with all of the required shields to hook to a CNC machine but I can't seem to find any software that interfaces to LinuxCNC. I did find one project here emc2arduino.wordpress.com/ but looks like it has not had much activity in a while and there does not seem to be much documentation.

Anyone know how I would interface to the Arduino, perhaps using GRBL?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2017 22:47 #88136 by Clive S

I am am hobbyist using Linux CNC on my cheap CNC3020 to mill printed circuit boards. The CNC3020 comes with a parallel port controller. I am looking to replace the whole controller with something that runs on USB.

I am not aware of any controller than uses the USB on Linuxcnc. I think you can only use a pendant via the USB .

More
23 Feb 2017 23:16 #88565 by andypugh
USB isn't an option. But you could look at the Mesa 7i92 Ethernet board, and connect that to your parallel port socket.

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_85&product_id=306

More
27 Feb 2017 06:17 #88654 by InMyDarkestHour
GRBL doesn't require linuxcnc, there are a few "senders" around to talk with the GRBL board, AFAIK GRBL does not support backlash comp.

Another option is a Beaglebone Black running machine kit, a couple of 74LS540/541 to handle voltage translation for output signals and a couple of 74LVC245 to handle input translation, these could be wired up on a couple of "proto boards". Run Linuxcnc over ssh on your lappy and your good to go. The BBB has a couple of PRU cores that are separate to the OS that are used for step generation.

Here's a link to an upgrade to a CNC using the BBB, the author does use a commercial cape but they are simple beasts, and I'm sure an EE wouldn't have too much trouble cobbling up a homebrew one. Oh and the author does use a monitor and keyboard connected to a BBB.

Xylotex sells shields for about USD $40 plus del, I have not tried these as living on a continent that is 6 feet away from the sun shipping can almost double the price.

www.rs-online.com/designspark/upgrading-...lling-machine-part-1

But as the wiki and docs state USB is a none option for real time.

Anyhow good luck

More
27 Feb 2017 09:50 #88659 by andypugh

a couple of 74LS540/541 to handle voltage translation for output signals and a couple of 74LVC245 to handle input translation,

If you don't want to commit to pin directions in hardware than you could probably use a GTL chip.
www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nxp-us...68-4223-5-ND/1156316
The following user(s) said Thank You: InMyDarkestHour

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds