Mesa (5i25/6i25)/7i76 vs 7i76e Comparison?

More
25 Feb 2017 01:14 #88612 by MacGalempsy
When looking thru the Mesa catalog for options for my next built, there are two options which seemed to stand out. The (5i25/6i26)/7i76 combo and the 7i76e. Both options are similarly priced. With the desire to use a VESA compatible mini itx case, the 7i76e is the ideal option. What I would like to know is: what are the performance differences between the (5i25/6i26)/7i76 combo and the 7i76e? Does the bus speed of the pci/pcie make a significant difference over the 100BaseT ethernet connection?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2017 01:31 #88613 by tommylight
I do not think there is a diference at all, both of them use the servo thread period for communication, so 1ms interval or 1000 times a second, so PCI and Ethernet are plenty fast to send and recieve the amount of data used.
I have several 5i25 and 6i25 /7i77 combos installed and working, i also have a 7i92 that uses ethernet and i did test it with a 7i77 for several days, also a 7i76E, did a lot of testing and used on an actual machines, but i did not notice any difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacGalempsy

More
25 Feb 2017 10:13 #88614 by rodw
I would have to agree with Tommy. Aside from maybe different pin names, the connection between Linuxcnc and a mesa card is totally transparent to how its connected to the PC whether its via PCI or ethernet. The ethernet cards can drive steppers at 10 Mhz which will not be the limiting factor (eg. some other timing issue will prevent that speed from being achieved.)

More
26 Feb 2017 19:50 #88642 by PCW
The PCI/PCIE cards have a slight advantage _if_ you have unusual hardware and need a
faster than 1 KHz or so servo thread rate. This may be an issue if you are running bare PWM or
torque mode drives, but with step/dir systems or velocity mode drives, the default 1 KHz servo
thread is fine so the PCI/PCIE/Ethernet cards are all basically the same performance wise.

You can run up to about a 4 KHz servo thread with the Ethernet cards but this requires a fast CPU
while 1 KHz works on almost anything. The PCI/PCIE cards can run servo threads up to about 10KHz on
fast hardware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, MacGalempsy

More
26 Feb 2017 20:18 #88643 by tommylight
10kHz?!!! Niceee.
I was thinking last night about using a 6i25 ( i have 2 unused and a 7i92 ) for just that, directly driving PWM amps and encoder feedback to 6i25. Found a firmware for 2 PWM and 2 encoders, so will have to add more later on, it is enough for testing.
More fun.
Thanks,
Tom

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds