(NEWBIE) How to use an (Fanuc) AC Spindle servo motor for an DIY CNC router

More
14 Mar 2017 23:37 #89641 by denhen89
Something important:
I dont know why i forgot about that, but today when i found the servo kit on aliexpress, i wrote an mail to them to ask about that -10v - 10V and got this answer: "About your question,our servos are 0-10v, I wonder is that acceptable for you?"

So, quiet wierd i would say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2017 10:07 #89653 by andypugh

You are right, have found that. But the reason i thought to go for the Easy servo is also because i found some thread here in forum where someone had exactly that problem with the 0-10V / -10 ~ 10V.. Somehow i cant find that in my history any more, but he couldnt give them any more back and he wasnt very happy with that purchase. Have a bit fear that i will have some big problems later...

Ah, yes, I vaguely remember that now too. The manual clearly says that Bipolar Operation is possible.

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3011...v-out?start=10#71671

More
15 Mar 2017 15:49 #89673 by tommylight
Have a look at servostar 6 series, they look quite usefull with plenty of options and can be found for under 400 euro in Germany. I do not belive they can be used for induction motors, so please do check that. Pdf aplenty.

More
15 Mar 2017 20:42 #89686 by denhen89

Ah, yes, I vaguely remember that now too. The manual clearly says that Bipolar Operation is possible.

forum.linuxcnc.org/27-driver-boards/3011...v-out?start=10#71671

Andy, today i wrote an mail to them and ask if they have also servos and servo drivers with -10v - +10V and they replied: "we only have 0-10v servos".

And yes, thats the discussion i was talking about.

@tommylight:

Have a look at servostar 6 series, they look quite usefull with plenty of options and can be found for under 400 euro in Germany. I do not belive they can be used for induction motors, so please do check that. Pdf aplenty.

Do you mean to use them for the AXIS servos ? I have read just a bit about the Kollmorgen 600 and it sounds like they are working with mayn different encoders, so are that "Universal Servo Drivers" ? Am i right that i could buy just the servo motors and use the Kollmorgen Servostar 600 drivers?

More
15 Mar 2017 20:54 #89687 by tommylight
They are AC servo drives with plenty of options. If i decide to get them, i will use them for everything, meaning axis, spindle, rotary or whatever i might be building. I did not have time to study them thoroughly, but they do have everything i might need.

More
15 Mar 2017 21:04 #89689 by andypugh

More
15 Mar 2017 21:13 #89690 by bevins

They are AC servo drives with plenty of options. If i decide to get them, i will use them for everything, meaning axis, spindle, rotary or whatever i might be building. I did not have time to study them thoroughly, but they do have everything i might need.

Where can you buy them?

More
15 Mar 2017 21:23 #89691 by denhen89
Thanks Tommy! I will for sure read more about the Servostar 600.

Andy, i am very interested in that because, i have read something about "parts cost 70€", but i have never build boards by my own self and it sounds like you have to do it and buy every small piece of that board to create it..

@bevins: That was also my first question, but it looks like its not possible to buy it, it has to be build if i understand correctly..

More
15 Mar 2017 21:36 #89692 by andypugh

Andy, i am very interested in that because, i have read something about "parts cost 70€", but i have never build boards by my own self and it sounds like you have to do it and buy every small piece of that board to create it..

Indeed, and when some parts come in reels of 100 or 4000 the price to build one is much higher than €70

More
15 Mar 2017 23:01 #89699 by tommylight
I have seen stbl quite some time ago, but building one (or several) is not an option, from to much time invested to meesy wiring to way to expencive. I build everything for fun and testing and learning, but the case in point does not pay off.
I think i saw them assembled and tested for 149 somewhere, add a power supply, rectifier, capacitors, connectors and the price goes beyond a used servostar, ending up with a device that has one method of communication and ........you get the point.
I am using some PWM drives that cost 23 euro for 2 motors (11.5 for one, but two on same board), with Linuxcnc for smal servo motors and they do work, they can not replace a fully fledged servo drive.
Servostar 6 series takes 3X208 up to 3X480V so i can just plug them to 3 phase outlet at 3X380V and be done with it. Adjustable output voltage is also a very nice feature when mixing and matching to motors.
Bevins, on ebay.de is one seler that has 3 606 for 299 each and another has 1 603 i think for the same price. The rest is way north on price. Two night ago when i checked they where still there.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds