(NEWBIE) How to use an (Fanuc) AC Spindle servo motor for an DIY CNC router

More
15 Mar 2017 23:34 #89701 by andypugh

the price goes beyond a used servostar, ending up with a device that has one method of communication and ........you get the point.

They have added more ways to drive then, analogue voltage, step/dir, Mesa Smart-Serial, some more I won't be using.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2017 00:20 #89705 by tommylight
Andy, did you or are you still using stbl? How is the overal experience? Protections? Heat? Etc
Tthank you for neverending supply of informations.
Tom

More
16 Mar 2017 19:01 #89767 by andypugh

Andy, did you or are you still using stbl? How is the overal experience?

I only decided that it was a possible solution to my current problem yesterday. So so-far know almost nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
21 Mar 2017 01:53 #89979 by JR1050
I'm late to this. I would google the manual for that motor and its corresponding drive. If it is a red cap Fanuc spindle motor, it is a permanent magnent motor and will have no tourque with a standard vfd. Hiatachi wj-200 and Sj-300 will run a pm motor. I have the 12kw version on my Fadal with a wj-200 and it can be made to work. It is a bear to tune and you will need the pm motor addendum from hitachi to calculate the induction volatage constant and set the pm parameters correctly. I have heard that Yaskawa and Fuji also have some low priced drives that will run that motor. Pm motors make lots of current on wind down, you will need a seperate braking unit and resistor, the braking transistor in the stock wj-200 is weak and blows when hit with a big current spike. Been down that road...

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds