What driver do I need

More
04 May 2017 17:20 #92668 by lizzette888
Hello
I am new to LinuxCNC, I have purchased 6 Nema 17 stepper motors and I was wondering what type of driver should I get to for my motors?
Also, I am not so experienced on controlling motors just yet, so if anyone could list what other electronic materials do I need in order to control motors correctly I will appreciate a lot.
This is the type of motor I purchase:

Nema 17 stepper motor Bipolar 2A 59 Ncm (84oz.in) 48mm Body 4-Lead W/ 1 m cable and connector for 3D printer /CNC
www.amazon.com/Stepper-Bipolar-4-lead-Co...rinter/dp/B00PNEQKC0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2017 12:20 #92698 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic What driver do I need
You can use any stepper driver rated at 2A or more.

Linked from the Amazon page that you gave was these drives which are slightly inconvenient in format but are quite cheap.

What do you intend to drive, and how? 6 steppers is the absolute maximum that you can drive from one parallel port[1]

There are lots of inexpensive multi-axis drivers on eBay, such as this one (example not recommendation) but you would probably be better served by individual drives. (again, this is just an example, not a recommendation)

The multi-axis boards normally plug directly into a parallel port, but you would need two (and two parallel ports) for your 6 motors.
The individual drives are typically wired via a D-sub to screw-terminal "Break out Board" which adds some protection (but is not strictly necessary, I have wired directly, and most drives have opto-isolated inputs anyway)

The parallel port is not the only option. It is just the cheapest (and slowest). Do you have any feel for how many steps-per-second your application will require (motor rpm x 200 steps-per-rev)

[1] Actually the maximum you can drive independently, you could potentially drive more if they could share step and/or direction signals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds