Newbie driver question

More
08 May 2017 17:56 - 08 May 2017 17:57 #92844 by WillyY
Hello,

I'm planning con retrifiting a manual mill/drill into a cnc.

I'm trying to figure out what is needed to use linuxCNC. The question is:

Can I use the drivers STR4 of applied motion? s3.amazonaws.com/applied-motion-pdf/STR4.pdf I'm asking because I can get those somewhat easy where I am. I was planning on using a DB9 serial port from the pc since I only need 3 axis (x,y,z) and the spindle as ON/OFF. (Maybe in the future also adjust spindle speed but not right now because the cost).

I was planning on using NEMA 24 (HT23-601) Steppers.

Does the idea sounds feasible or am I too disoriented?

I read here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Mesa_Cards that only mesa cards are supported. Does that mean other brands are incompatible?

What do you sugest?

I understand schematics and somewhat the logic behind, but I have little experience in the field. I have previouly work with Mach3 on Windows.

Thank you for the attention.
Last edit: 08 May 2017 17:57 by WillyY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2017 18:45 - 08 May 2017 18:46 #92859 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Newbie driver question
Those are basic step/dir drives and can be driven with many interface cards including
parallel port, Pico Systems cards, Mesa cards, and General Mechatronics cards

The simplest and least expensive is a parallel port (either on Motherboard or a plug in PCI / PCIE card)

Usually a BOB (Break Out Board) is used with a parallel port to increase the signal drive
strength and protect the parallel port.

Here's an example of a BOB:

www.banggood.com/5-Axis-CNC-Breakout-Int...ith-USB-p-81074.html
Last edit: 08 May 2017 18:46 by PCW.

More
08 May 2017 19:05 #92864 by WillyY
Replied by WillyY on topic Newbie driver question
Thank you, I'll look out for one of those.

More
10 May 2017 15:32 #92965 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie driver question
I think you might have been looking at the wrong Wiki page.
Try this one:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_Supported_Hardware

Also be aware that the Wiki is user-written and is in many (most?) places at best outdated, and sometimes wrong.

LinuxCNC can't use a serial port for step-generation, but the parallel port works well. Many PCs which don't have a p-port on the back panel have a header on the motherboard instead.

More
10 May 2017 15:55 - 10 May 2017 16:23 #92968 by WillyY
Replied by WillyY on topic Newbie driver question
Ok. I'll look out for a parallel port and my planned drivers are ok, that wiki says I'll only need to give the step/direction signals.

About the parallel port, I suppose I can use one parallel port card with PCI-E like this: sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products...rge/PEX1PLP.Main.jpg

I found a STARTECH Sunix - SUN1989 PCI1P2 that say it support EPP. Also I'm guessing that for only step/direction signals I don't really need enhanced parallel port (EPP) but that's just a guess.

Thank you.
Last edit: 10 May 2017 16:23 by WillyY.

More
11 May 2017 00:54 #93001 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Newbie driver question
No, you shouldn't need EPP. But EPP does leave the door open to a later upgrade to Pico PPMC or Mesa 7i43(and similar) which do use EPP.

It might be worth searching the Wiki for various words in the card description. Jon (from Pico) recently said that he has found problems with some cards.
www.mail-archive.com/emc-developers@list...ge.net/msg16090.html

More
11 May 2017 02:27 #93005 by jmelson
Replied by jmelson on topic Newbie driver question
That is fairly old stuff. We have made a fix in the driver so that at least a few of those EPP cards now work with the Pico Systems boards. There is one card I know of that is totally proprietary, so it will only work with the Windows driver included on the CD in the box. The PCI plug-n-play enumerator IDs it as "unknown device". That's really the exception, today.

Jon

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds