Viper step dir drives for DC servos

More
15 May 2017 14:05 #93226 by bevins
Has anyone tried the Larken Automation Viper 200 drives for DC Servos with LinuxCNC?

They look to be inexpensive, has a PID loop, and adjustment procedures and looks like it will be a good fit to my Bridgeport R2E4
I am retrofitting. Will use 5i25/7i76 and those viper 200 drives.

Would like to know if anyone has used them with mesa cards before.

www.viperservo.com/dloads/viper-manual.pdf

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2017 21:58 #93319 by andypugh
I don't know if anyone has used them, but they look like they should work fine.
However, I am not a huge fan of running servos with a step/dir interface.

Are the original servo-amps in the machine functional?

More
18 May 2017 12:09 - 18 May 2017 12:12 #93336 by bevins
Yes they are functional. I dont know for how long though. They are huge makes alot of noise, and I want to change them out. I sold this machine and dont want any comebacks.

You have any drives in mind that will run DC servois without step and dir?
Last edit: 18 May 2017 12:12 by bevins.

More
18 May 2017 12:12 #93337 by bevins
Also have these in mind....

DG4S-16035

More
21 May 2017 00:53 #93412 by andypugh

The vast majority of DC servo drives work on analogue voltage velocity command. That's tricky from a parallel port (but not impossible) but LinuxCNC supports a lot of hardware that can control those drives.

There are drives that are controlled from PWM from both Pico and Mesa.
www.pico-systems.com/pwmservo.html

store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_90&product_id=147 or store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...83_90&product_id=141 (and maybe others)

There are also options that are purely digital. Mesa 8i20, STMBL, General Mechatronics

More
21 May 2017 03:19 #93422 by jmelson

The vast majority of DC servo drives work on analogue voltage velocity command. That's tricky from a parallel port (but not impossible) but LinuxCNC supports a lot of hardware that can control those drives.

There are drives that are controlled from PWM from both Pico and Mesa.
www.pico-systems.com/pwmservo.html

Yes, our PWM system has both brush and brushless drives that take a PWM signal and direction. The PWM controller is connected to a PC by the parallel port, and has registers that are addressed and read/written by the LinuxCNC ppmc driver.
So, it reads encoder position, calculates a new velocity, and sends that out to the controller as a PWM duty cycle.

This gets rid of the software step generation, only requiring the position be read 1000 times a second and new velocity sent out at the same rate. The controller can accommodate encoder count rates up to 5 MHz.

Jon

More
21 May 2017 13:21 #93436 by bevins
I sold my bridgeport but i sold it retrofitted. I didnt want to make money, just wanted to get rid of it. Digging into the retrofit, i figured out i needed to change the drives because it would be tough to integrate with existing drives. So i have about 1,000.00 to buy drives and hardware for upgrading.

I dont know much about pico systems but would be willing tomtry pico, i figured mesa 5i25/7i76 with dc servo drives at 180 each and changing encoders 80.00 x3 will come close but a bit over the budget.

I want to stay away from using the parrallel port on the computer.

More
21 May 2017 16:32 #93440 by jmelson

I dont know much about pico systems but would be willing tomtry pico, i figured mesa 5i25/7i76 with dc servo drives at 180 each and changing encoders 80.00 x3 will come close but a bit over the budget.

Not too clear what this setup is. Assuming DC brush motors and 3 axes, the Universal PWM Controller and 2 brush PWM servo amps will cost $625. The optional spindle DAC is $50, if you want to control spindle speed through a VFD. Why do you have to change the encoders?

Jon

More
21 May 2017 20:47 - 21 May 2017 20:50 #93449 by bevins
They are the original SEM DC servos and I think they have brushes. Not sure, will check. I have VFD already setup working with original control so no ned top change that. Just have to drive three SEM 120VDC servos.

The encoders are only 250, I would want at least 1000, and quadrature.

You have an fpga card? I hate using Parrallel ports on computer.
Last edit: 21 May 2017 20:50 by bevins.

More
21 May 2017 21:24 #93450 by bevins

Not too clear what this setup is. Assuming DC brush motors and 3 axes, the Universal PWM Controller and 2 brush PWM servo amps will cost $625. The optional spindle DAC is $50, if you want to control spindle speed through a VFD. Why do you have to change the encoders?

Jon

Can I run a 5i25-7i77 setup to drive your pwm servo amps?

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds