need help 5i25/7i76 setup for plasma

More
22 Sep 2017 16:11 #99277 by kb8wmc
Thanks to the input from folks I have motion of the machine with active home/limit switches...
This is 5i25/7i76 ---- THCAD-10
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
Presently at the point where we need some guidance on connecting the six wire + ground coming from the PM45 into the THCAD-10 and whatever else...We can identify where the +IN and -IN from the PM45 attach to the terminals on the THCAD-10, but there are 4 other wires and a ground wire that go someplace, but I am not clear to where they attach...
Any direction will be appreciated....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2017 20:09 #99287 by rodw
I think this recent thread is what you need.
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasma-laser/33226-th...-hypertherm-45-nonxp

More
23 Sep 2017 00:10 #99295 by cruzinone
I read that post also and there is no discussion of where the wires from pins 3,4 which starts cut and 12,14 for motion. We talked to tech at Hypertherm today and he did explain to us the pins and what they are for but did not know where on the Mesa cards they would hook up to. We know where pins 3,4 go on the thcad-10 but the other 5 pins we no not.

More
23 Sep 2017 03:19 #99303 by PCW
I would wire it something like this:

Hy 7I76

3 START --> Spindle Ena +
4 START --> Spindle Ena -
5 VPlasma- -->THCAD -IN
6 VPlasma+ -->THCAD +IN
12 TRANSFER --> +24V
14 TRANSFER --> 7I76 Field input say Input8 = TB6 pin 9

I may have the polarity wrong on the start pins, the Hypertherm manual does not
make it clear, but this can be determined by a voltmeter

More
23 Sep 2017 13:59 #99334 by kb8wmc
rodw and PCW; Thank you much for the information...Will be able to work towards completion now...Still a fair amount to get finished but picking away at it...I still have not got my second X axis motor on the gantry turning...you know of a working HAL for two motors on one axis to use as an example?
BTW, are there any "Do's" and "Don'ts" I should read when it comes to best grounding practices for plasma table?

Thanks again...

More
25 Sep 2017 22:04 #99432 by kb8wmc
Now have second X axis motor running along with the first one....We had a simple wiring problem and when we discovered it, it was easy fix...Now on to the THC and e-stop...
will post progress

More
21 Jan 2018 23:56 - 21 Jan 2018 23:57 #104820 by cruzinone
Need more help, we have our touch off working proper using the touchoff routine but it will start the torch. I looked at all the wiring again I do think I have it wired as you suggested PCW. Only thing with cable I bought from Hyper therm that they do not tell you which of the wires are positive or negative.
Is there a way I can check for voltage at the 7i76 where the wires from the cable from torch are wired in? Any other things I can look for the no start of torch? thanks to everyone.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 23:57 by cruzinone.

More
22 Jan 2018 00:28 #104821 by rodw
I did the torch on differently to PCW.
# --- TURN TORCH ON  ---
#net spindle-on motion.spindle-on => hm2_7i76e.0.7i76.0.0.output-04 

The output is used to trigger a relay so one side of the coil is attached to the output and the other side to ground.
Then attach the 2 torch on wires from your plasma machine to the relay contacts. You do not need to worry about polarity. YOu just need to close the contacts.

M3 should then turn the torch on and M5 should turn it off.

More
22 Jan 2018 00:59 - 22 Jan 2018 01:02 #104822 by cruzinone
Thanks for reply. were looking that up right now. To add more to how I have it wired the cable I bought from Hyper therm has 6 wires in 3 insulated jackets. Pin 3 and 4 are for plasma start and I have pin 3 green wire connected to pin 5 on tb4 of the 7176 and pin 4 black wire connected to pin 6 on tb4. Pin 12 the red wire goes to a 24vdc terminal in my electrical box and pin 14 black wire goes to pin 9 in tb6 of 7176. Pin 5 the white wire goes to thcad card on the bottom right screw terminal and pin 6 the black wire goes to the upper right screw terminal of the thcad card.
I dont have any relays like yours. Im thinking that The relays must be in the plasma torch and I think that I am just sending a voltage via the 7176 to close and open relays. Correct me if Im wrong and have to do something else. thanks again.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2018 01:02 by cruzinone.

More
22 Jan 2018 01:23 - 22 Jan 2018 01:28 #104823 by PCW
You do not send any voltage from the 7I76 to close any relays, torch start is done with a contact closure.
Hypertherm pin 3 and 4 require a contact closure so the spindle enable pins should work since they
are effectively a contact closure when the spindle is on

You should be able to verify this by starting the torch by manually shorting these pins

You can also verify that the ENA+ and ENA- pins connect when the spindle is on with a ohmmeter across the pins (if the hypertherm is not connected) or a voltmeter across the pins if the Hypertherm is connected. The voltmeter should read about 18V when the spindle is off and about 1.5V if the spindle is on.
You can check the polarity of pins 3 and 4 by measuring them with a DVM (The plus pin goes to ENA+ and the - pin goes to ENA-)

The arc OK signal is a contact closure _from_ the hypertherm (closed when the arc is established) so you have it wired OK
Last edit: 22 Jan 2018 01:28 by PCW.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.533 seconds