Cheap 5-Axis Breakout board with Leadshine AM882 stepper drivers

More
04 Sep 2017 13:12 #98469 by denhen89
Hello !

I would again need your help guys.

I still have at least 1 month of work on the mechanical parts of my 4x8 cnc router build, but currently i am on vacations in Germany and would like to order all the electrical parts like breakout board, stepper drivers, stepper motors, power supply, etc.

My first plan was to buy the Mesa 5i25 & 7i76 plug n go kit, but i think for the beginning its smarter to buy something cheaper and in future if the machine will be a lot in use and i will make some money, then i will order the mesa plug n go kit.

My question is now, if an breakout board like that one here: cnc4you KK01 - 5 axis breakout board will work with drivers like the Leadshine AM882, or do i need breakout boards like the mesa 7i76 to use the full potential of the drivers ?

Another question: Is the kk01 breakout board from cnc4you the same one like that one here from ebay ?(it looks almost same, but the one from ebay is cheaper): 5 axis breakout board from ebay

It would not make an big difference in price to be honest, but i am in germany so could order them on today to my moms address, so i can save a bit on the shipping costs. If the KK01 from cnc4you is better, then i wil order it together with the 4 pieces 566oz stepper motors from cnc4you.

Big thanks in advance guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2017 15:59 - 04 Sep 2017 16:01 #98491 by PCW
The 5 axis breakout should work fine with your AM882's

You can use a parallel port with the 5 axis breakout and upgrade to something
like a 5I25 later if the axis speeds you can get with a parallel port become a limitation.

The 5I25 will work with the 5 axis breakout board, the main advantage of breakouts like
the 7I76 are that it has much more I/O (16 outputs 32 inputs+ encoder inputs)
than a parallel port breakout board

For a simple router though the 5 axis board is probably fine

I suspect that all of the 5 Axis boards are basically the same, there does appear to be a variant with blue connectors
however
Last edit: 04 Sep 2017 16:01 by PCW.

More
04 Sep 2017 18:13 #98502 by denhen89
BIG THANKS! That was exactly the answer i was looking for ! :)

For me the most important is to have 2 home switches installed to square/home the gantry (2 steppers with rotating nut on the long axis) with the LinuxCNC 2.8 Pre version, and then i still have 3 inputs, but if i understand correctly, then i can add just an second parallel port to get more I/O ? (i read that LinuxCNC supports up to 8 parallel ports).

Again, thank you PCW!

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds