mesa thcad wiring

More
19 Sep 2017 01:19 - 19 Sep 2017 01:47 #99099 by cruzinone
mesa thcad wiring was created by cruzinone
I searched this site and searched the www for instructions on wiring the mesa thc card into my hypertherm 45 with no information available. I looked at the manual and it shows the 7 pins on the back of the 45 is this were the thcad is wired in?
I have a box I bought with the 45 that is a remote start has 2 pins in the connector that attaches to the back of the hypertherm. Can this remote start cable be used for starting and thc? It only has 2 pins can more pins be added? It does come apart.
Also just how does the torch start cutting? What turns it on? Ive got the cover off the 45 looking it over. I have seen a drawing my brother found that shows where the thcad card hooks to the 7i76 and shows wires going to the torch but no instructions. And where does the thcad card get its +5vdc and -5vdc, from the 7i76? Im lost at this point. Anyone can clue me in please help. thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2017 01:47 by cruzinone. Reason: add pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2017 06:42 #99112 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic mesa thcad wiring
I don't have a Hypertherm so my pinouts will be different to yours so I called them X & Y
TB3 -01 THCAD +5 V
TB3-07  THCAD FOUT+
TB3-08  THCAD FOUT-
TB3-06  THCAD -5 V
THC SHIELD N/A  
THC Shield Connect to Frame Ground Earth point (cabinet)
Plasma Pin X THC IN+ 16:1 divided voltage +
Plasma Pin Y THC IN- 16:1 divided voltage -

So to get your ArcOk working and assuming Hypertherm has a set of dry contacts (eg a relay) take a wire from your +24 volt power supply and connect it to one ArcOk pin. Connect another wire to your AcrOK pin (arbitrary one you choose) and run it to the other ArcOK connector pin. Connect a 1k 1W pulldown resistor from your input to -24 volt ground. Thius will ensure that current throuh the dry contacts exceeds the minimum relay current rating. SO wht hapens then, your plasma wiull get a good arc, turn the relay on and it wil switch 24 volts to your input where Linuixcnc will see it.

More
19 Sep 2017 06:44 #99113 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic mesa thcad wiring
I forgot that you have a 50:1 divider. That gives you about 7 volt full scale which will still be OK for Linuxcnc to see. IF you need greater resolution a signal amplifier might be able to push it to THCAD 10 volt full scale.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds