Newbie question: How to share a input pin?

More
11 Sep 2010 01:57 - 11 Sep 2010 13:45 #4111 by branilson
Hi everybody,

I am new inEMC and it is my first post. I have a 4 axis machine where i am trying to use de EMC interfaced by parport. The machine is composed by two DIY servos (with brush DC motor + strip encoder) as X and Y axis, an stepper motor for de Z axis and another DC motor controlled by a step servo board.

Because of the encoders of the XY axis I've used 4 input pins and I need to read the signals of the home/limit switches of XYZ axis and I dont want to use a second parallel port, so my questions are:

Is it possible to multiplex these input signals to share the left input pin?

How I can do it?

Anyone has a different sugestion?

Thank's in advance,

Branilson.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2010 13:45 by BigJohnT. Reason: remove non standard character

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2010 13:48 #4121 by BigJohnT
I doubt that is possible and would just install a second parallel port for a couple of dollars if you have an empty slot.

On another note you can have all the limits and homing switches on the same pin, so you only need one.

John

More
13 Sep 2010 12:39 #4170 by andypugh
branilson wrote:

Is it possible to multiplex these input signals to share the left input pin?.

No need to multiplex, EMC can work with limit and home pins shared in a number of ways.
You need to tell EMC to ignore limit switches while homing, or homing X will trigger a limit switch error on Y and Z, for example.

The simplest way to do this is with stepconf, just allocate all one pin to "All homes and Limits". If you look at the INI and HAL files you can then see what the HAL file structure and INI file parameters are to achieve this.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds