Recommended Driver Board?

More
11 Dec 2010 08:15 - 11 Dec 2010 08:18 #5970 by AssassinXCV
Hello,

I am making a 3 axis cnc machine. I am also planning to make a 5 axis machine later on.

I have heard that the Hobby CNC Pro driver boards were cheap and could break/burn out easily. (i know they only go up to 4axis)

I was searching around on google for a 5 axis driver board that would work for some 3Amp NEMA 23 Stepper motors, and i came across the TB6560A driver boards.

I have found two types: - TB6560 interface board with the 5, 1-axis driver boards that connect to the interface board
- TB6560AHQ driver board

the HQ board is only $90, where as the interface board and driver combo is $150,

PLUS! The HQ board is capable of connecting a gamepad (computer game controller) via VGA (15 pin) to it, so that you can have manual control, yet powered by the motors. And, it is just one big board that has a nice big heat sink on it with fans.

I'm just doing this as a hobby and i wouldnt really want to spend any more than $200 on the 5 axis board.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like some knowledge on which board/board combo to buy.

Thank you

PS, i noticed that the HQ board only has 4 ports per axis, while the interface combo board has all 6 ports.

Interface combo:
CLICK THIS BLUE BAR: [img]javascript:popupWindow('http://www.cncgeeker.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=43') [/img] <

HQ:
Last edit: 11 Dec 2010 08:18 by AssassinXCV.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2010 13:33 - 11 Dec 2010 13:35 #5973 by dab77
Replied by dab77 on topic Re:Recommended Driver Board?
think also that you'll need a power source (from 50€ to 400..)
the same seller should have a kit with power supply included. (very cheap.)
i have the same board (HQ) token from the bay, from china.. it still works, but pay attention on using it carefully, or it can brake.
it's ok for beginner, or if you'not asking much from your drive.

ciao.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2010 13:35 by dab77.

More
11 Dec 2010 20:31 - 11 Dec 2010 20:40 #5976 by AssassinXCV
well, i dont really plan on cutting any sort of metal with my machine, mainly i dont know of a supplier near my area.

i have some questions to ask you, if you wouldnt mind answering, since you have experience with the board:

Can i plug only 3 motors into the board, leaving the other two disconnected, so that i can use the 3 axis mill? There are some switches there, would they be able to turn off those ports? i dont want to have to buy two power supplies (one for 3A X 3 Motors, one for 3A X 5 Motors)

Any insight would help, thanks you so far.

Also, i already have 3 Stepper motors, so i can't really get the kit, but i'll look around.

Ian

EDIT: wait, i can see that you can change the current, from 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%.. glad i found this board when i did, and didnt buy the 4 axis hobby cnc Pro. :D
Last edit: 11 Dec 2010 20:40 by AssassinXCV.

More
13 Dec 2010 16:27 #6004 by dab77
Replied by dab77 on topic Re:Recommended Driver Board?
first I'm not an expert of this drive.
then, i've the 4 axis version, the one you posted a pic (HQ, not the combo.)

i already tried to plug only 2 or 3 motors, so i can say it's ok.

first time i tryed with 75% of current, then i tried with 100%, so i've never used anithing below 100%, just 'cause i saw it works!

then, there's an error on the (poor) documentation of the drive: dip-switch settings for 1/8 and 1/16 of microstepping, on my drive were inverted... i always work with 1/8 or 1/16 because with 1/2 and 1 microstepping, the stepper are very noisy, either while moving and not (but i can't say if it is a driver issue).

another problem was with the fan. i had to knock on that with a finger to make it move... i solved because i've build a case containing both the power supply (15A 24V from the same seller) and the driver, plus a bigger fan, which i plugged directly into the power supply. that's because i've read of an easy over heating of this drive.

than i've read also that since it is a cheap driver, you have to pay attention on turn it off, before plug/unplug anything, and it is better to turn off the 220V/110V instead of 24V (read and understood why, but sincerly i can't tell you again...)

also not to turn fast motors, by hand or any other way, cause you'll create a back-current that this cheap drive cannot dissipate.

other than this i could do a lot of experiments with this card, so as a beginner, i can say i'm happy with this!

More
14 Dec 2010 07:31 - 14 Dec 2010 07:33 #6018 by AssassinXCV
wow, okay thanks so much. This really helps

Thanks,

Ian
Last edit: 14 Dec 2010 07:33 by AssassinXCV.

Moderators: PCWjmelson
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds