esab ultrarex retro fit plasma / flame cutter

More
13 Jan 2012 12:10 #16716 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

If you all ready have capacitance sensed height control would it not be better to use that knowing that the voltage will vary with speed (like slowing down for corners)

Does it? Do you know why? I thought it depended only on arc length?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2012 12:20 #16717 by BigJohnT
He demonstrated that it worked in the video by using his hand to make the torch move up and down... I know that flame cutting capacitance sensed height control is all they have. I don't know if it is better/equal/worse than voltage sensing for plasma. Just thinking out loud that it would be an easier refit if you could just tie into the current THC system and provide it with what it wants for signals if it is possible.

John

More
13 Jan 2012 15:13 #16719 by PCW
Sounds like a good first step. One advantage of the capacitance based system it that you always
have feedback instead of only when you have an arc. So if the control signals for the capacitance
based height control can be deciphered, there's no reason EMC could not control the existing hardware. My (perhaps optimistic) guess is that its all controlled by just a few I/Os

More
13 Jan 2012 23:21 #16748 by jd896
brilliant perfect even was wondering about keeping the cap hight for the bit of flame we will do but using it to probe for tpuch off perfect lads love it

but yeah john there all a flame cutter can have and there newest flame cutters come with them still but there not the best for plasma voltage based gets the squarer cut

ill look into the i/os for it and such as of the moment the hight can be jogged with the controls would this be good enought for emc to job the hight or would it need the variable speed if so ill have too dig further into it but should be fine

More
12 May 2012 13:13 #20030 by jd896
sorry for the delay was busy at work with other things anyway

the servo drivers on this machine take a 10 volt enable signal as far as i can tell would this have to be a switched voltage going through the 7i37?

also is the an easy way to have the interface off the emc-plasma-thc sim window on to the 5i20 config thats made off the pncconf window?

and thanks for all the suggestions/help up too now

More
12 May 2012 16:47 #20039 by PCW

the servo drivers on this machine take a 10 volt enable signal as far as i can tell would this have to be a switched voltage going through the 7i37?

Yes you can use the 7I37 to switch any DC signal level within its range so 10V is fine
(though 10V sounds more like a servo analog input than an enable)

(note that this applies to the 7I37, and 7I37TA not the
7I37COM which has a common V+ connection for all outputs)

More
14 May 2012 14:28 #20082 by jd896
yeah sorry its the 7i37ta i have the servo signals on these drives are a max of 8 volt so its deff the enable signal did wonder if they would perhaps respond to a lower voltage enable but may just have to try it

also the server drive / capacitive height control is kind of frying my brain as to wiring i can get the two wires that can be switched with the 7i37ta to turn the height control on for the pierce height set and i have also found that the jog switch will respond to variable voltage also only its across three pins i.e. one common @ 15volt the, the up pin and down pin so no differential connection there also the sensor wiring that goes to the head has the wires to it a 15volt permanent two back i would assume that this would be the differential input but there's only about 3 volts for full down and nothing for full up, also the equilibrium point (no movement from servo) is adjusted with the potentiometer on the front panel so i dont think this is gonna work very well if at all ideas anybody?

More
14 May 2012 14:40 #20083 by PCW
Does the 3V vary with height? it could be an analog signal
(or maybe PWM/PDM. A 'scope would be needed to know for sure)

More
15 May 2012 11:26 #20094 by jd896
The voltage varies dependant on how close an object is to the sensing ring on the torch Also I'd there any chance anybody would recognise these drives having a hard time finding the enable for them

More
15 May 2012 11:32 - 15 May 2012 11:35 #20095 by jd896
forgot the photo
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2012 11:35 by jd896.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds