Emco PC turn 55 upgrade..

More
07 Nov 2016 18:59 #82561 by james-mech
What is in the book is not necessarily what you have, I wont say it again.
Post a picture from where in the book it states they are 3 phase...
Post a picture of the damage to your driver card.
Check the stepper motors with a multimeter to prove they are what you think they are. (Youtube shows you how)

The computer although necessary is the least of your problems.
The mesa card is what will produce the signals that drive your motors and will do what linux cnc tells it to do.

Data sheet for motors? Test it fits?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2016 20:04 #82563 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Emco PC turn 55 upgrade..
If the motors have three wires and an earth then they are 3-phase.

I think three-phase steppers are making a bit of a return. There are quite a few on eBay, especially as hybrid servos (stepper + encoder)

You can get thing moving with just a parallel port, though I don't see one on that motherboard (but there may be a header on the board itself)

More
07 Nov 2016 20:37 #82565 by turbo
Replied by turbo on topic Emco PC turn 55 upgrade..

What is in the book is not necessarily what you have, I wont say it again.
Post a picture from where in the book it states they are 3 phase...
Post a picture of the damage to your driver card.

They are already in this thread. I won't attach them again.

More
07 Nov 2016 20:50 #82566 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Emco PC turn 55 upgrade..
Driver card damage looks like a blown surface-mount capacitor.
You could try soldering an ordinary capacitor of the right value (assume it is the same as the undamaged one) across the pads.

Or simply hook up the new driver you bought. Which is a known-quantity with documentation.

More
07 Nov 2016 22:06 #82572 by james-mech
You have one really bad picture where it is difficult to see anything....
You have no pictures from the documentation showing where it specifies 3 phase stepper motors...

Good luck!

More
08 Nov 2016 02:03 #82577 by turbo
Ordered the Mesa 6i25+7i76.

More
09 Nov 2016 21:57 #82630 by turbo
I probably should have looked for a capacitance tester earlier. So now I'm getting a better multimeter with capacitance and frequency and a bunch of other features. Hopefully I'll be threading with the Emco software by next week. The Leadshines aren't expected until the 21st.

More
12 Nov 2016 04:10 #82711 by turbo
I've read a little of the toolerator info. I was wondering if I can use an Uno instead of the Nano. I think I've got 2 of them around somewhere.

More
12 Nov 2016 18:50 #82722 by uli12us
Replied by uli12us on topic Emco PC turn 55 upgrade..
What is the difference from PC turn 50 to 55. I own a Compact5 that is very similar to the PCT50 and know the machine very well.
These 2 machines use strange Berger-Lahr 5 wire Stepper motors with 72steps/turn. If you have the same, I recommend to change it for better at least 200spt types with a matching driver, because with these motors the lowest step in Diameter and length is only 0,0138... mm. The tool turret is controlled with a simple DC-motor which have different currents for for- and backward turn. Forward you have for example 2A and backwards only 200 mA or so, that push the locking disc against the lock bar. You can change the DC-motor with a stepper motor, but I think its easier to switch a relay for maybe 0,4 sek to change
the turret to the next position. At the moment, I don't have assembled my turret, so I can't say, what current it needs for correct function.

More
15 Nov 2016 00:28 #82817 by turbo
I thought I read somewhere that the difference was in the spindle drive or encoder. I thought the 55 was the max swing over cross slide, but that is actually 59mm.

I have the 3 phase steppers and they seem to have plenty of speed and torque. Lowest step is .001mm or at least that's what it says on the screen. The normal rapid is 2000mm/min and maxes around 2250 at 120% feed override. I'm waiting for some new capacitors, to show up so I haven't checked voltages or anything, but I was thinking that I could eventually upgrade the power supply and run the steppers at 45V instead of 30. If I can get the same speeds with LinuxCNC I'll be happy with that.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds