Emco Compact 5 interface with linuxcnc -- random/intermittent estop toggling.

More
03 Feb 2017 21:55 #87259 by krlynn
This relates to an interface issue that cropped up with an EC5 PC running on LinuxCNC using Sam's config, so it seems like this most be the best place to post. If not, I'll happily move it.

I've been running a EC5 PC on LinuxCNC with no problem until it recently began to toggle the EStop by itself. It was very random and fairly rare at first, but got progressively worse. The bridge rectifier was recently replaced and should be good. All fuses appear to be good. I've checked connections and don't find any that are loose.

What usually happens is that when I open LinuxCNC, all looks good until I power on the machine with the key switch, then the EStop button in LinuxCNC turns pale.

I removed the chip-guard cover when I first got this machine, so that switch is in a position where it should always see the lid as closed. While fiddling around I discovered that most of the time, but not always, I can get the EStop button in LinuxCNC to toggle off (machine power on) by pushing up on the lid switch a little. Sometimes that is effective for a quite a while, other times the switch either dims out again and stays dim or toggles itself on an off randomly. None of this causes any power loss (either main or spindle motor). I'm just not able to control the machine with LinuxCNC.

I tried inserting a dummy plug to permanently disable the lid switch, but all that did was deprive me of the ability to get the EStop button to un-dim.

Any thoughts about what the underlying problem is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2017 03:14 #87271 by tommylight
The switch, most probably or a loose wire on that switch.

More
04 Feb 2017 03:28 #87273 by krlynn
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think it's the switch, even though manipulating it could at least temporarily seem to resolve the problem. But when I simply short the two circuits and by-pass the switch, I still have the issue. And it continues to be somewhat intermittent. I just lose my ability to tamper with it.

It's clearly a machine-side issue, though.

More
04 Feb 2017 03:50 #87277 by tommylight
OK
Are you sure the rectifier is good and the capacitors are doing what they should?
If you have a DVM ( multimeter ), set it for AC voltage and measure the DC side of the rectifier. If you get more than 1 to 2 V , something is not right. Also check the grounding, it can cause quite some headache.

More
04 Feb 2017 04:04 #87278 by krlynn
Thanks. I have a DVM. Just very challenged in using it. I'll figure out how to do that, though.

Should the rectifier be getting very hot? It is, which I haven't noticed before, although I don't know that I would have.

I have several of these machines and and a couple have begun to develop control-side idiosyncrasies that I assume are related to age. I need to develop a plan to update/upgrade them. If anyone knows anyone to recommend who might be able to help with a reasonable distance from Kansas City (which would include St. Louis), I'd welcome recommendations. I'm not looking for charity. I really want to stick with LinuxCNC.

More
04 Feb 2017 05:54 #87281 by tommylight
Have you seen Dorothy lately? :)
I am over 12000 Km away (8000 miles) in Kosovo, although by now i should have been a US Citizen, having a dumb brother does not help. Nevermind.
Take it step by step and post a lot of questions, and when reading answers just give them some time, if you do not get them at first. And google is nice.
There are plenty of capable people here, so someone might be near, or pasing by.
Regards,
Tom

More
06 Feb 2017 16:26 #87406 by andypugh
It could be electrical noise, you could try a debounce on the e-stop input. 10mS delay on e-stop activation is neither here nor there in the scheme of things.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds