can LinuxCNC handle 360 degree rotating arm?

More
13 Mar 2017 00:23 - 13 Mar 2017 00:47 #89496 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
I have used LinuxCNC on 3 machines so far, 1 - XYZ, 1 XYZA and 1 -XYUV.

My question is... Can it be modified to handle a 360 degree rotating arm robot that takes rotational angle (1-360 with fractional angles), Height (fractional inches) and length of reach (fractional inches)? I have attached a pic that shows a similarly layed out robot arm cause it's easier to show than describe.

Basically instead of normal X,Y,Z it would be polar Distance,Angle,Z. Can I just do a Cartesian to polar conversion on the X and Y axis and put that into HAL? Z would still be Z except instead of going down it goes up.

Am I thinking right?

Thanks
Jeff
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Mar 2017 00:47 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2017 16:29 #89596 by andypugh
Do you want to specify XYZ or R/Theta/H ?

In the latter case, just set the machine up as trivkins (and use a GUI without a preview, as that will be wrong).

More
14 Mar 2017 18:16 #89620 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
I was expecting to specify the pattern in XYZ since I haven't been able to figure out how to convert a dxf designed in cartesion to polar. I normally use CamBam for cam and I can't see anyway to have it convert XYZ to R/Theta/H. Even if I could I'd still have to get the kinematics to take R/Theta/H and drive R/Theta/H.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

More
14 Mar 2017 22:13 #89631 by andypugh
OK, so this seems like a job for a custom kinematics file, but it should be a simple one.

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/motion/kinematics.html

Basically make a copy of trivkins and then edit it to do some simple maths.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds