which card to buy

More
22 Jun 2017 15:37 #94793 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic which card to buy
That's OK, the 6i24 runs from internal firmware whereas the previous generation of Mesa cards needed to download firmware to the card from /lib/firmware/hm2/ at every startup.

You can install the hostmot2 firmware package from Synaptic. Your cards won't use it, but it might help you with pncconf, because I think that you might have to pretend to have a 5i23 to get it to make you a config (the search/replace 5i23 to 5i24 in the HAL and INI files)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2017 18:25 #94934 by Jorgefv
Replied by Jorgefv on topic which card to buy
I'm trying to understand how the configuration works and analyzing the output of the pncconf wizard meanwhile I'm reading about the firmware, I don't know the firmware that is on the cards right now, I read here that the best firmware for the particular set of cards I have got is svss6_8.bit and I've got the 6i24-25 so I would use the 5i24_25_svss6_8.bit and also suggest how to connect the cables that should be the 7i48 on the p4 and the 7i44 on the p2 that on my case would be the p1
I'm going really slow but I'm learning a lot.

More
26 Jun 2017 00:23 - 26 Jun 2017 00:26 #94948 by andypugh
Does your card have a sticker indicating the firmware installed?

if not, do the following at the command line. (The stuff in brackets is a comment for you, don't type it)
sudo dmesg -c         (clear the kernel log)
halrun                (start a command-line HAL session)
loadrt hostmot2
loadrt hm2_pci        (load the Hostmot2 drivers)
exit                  ( finished with HAL)
dmesg                 (list the messages from the driver)

Then paste the output of the dmesg command here, we can tell you what you have.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2017 00:26 by andypugh.

More
26 Jun 2017 14:45 #94992 by Jorgefv
I tried that command and dmesg didn't return anything
I executed it several times and even played turning the leds on and off but still no change on the dmseg output
I also restarted the machine several times
no information about the firmware on the sticker just a serial number and the model

More
26 Jun 2017 15:07 #94993 by andypugh
Which LinuxCNC version and kernel? Only the RTAI version logs to dmesg. I don't know where uspace logs to. I really should find out.

You won't be able to turn on LEDs etc without adding the read and write functions to a thread. (and doing so won't give dmesg output anyway).

Did you succeed in lighting LEDs?

More
26 Jun 2017 16:10 #94994 by Jorgefv
yes I added the read and write threads and played with the leds

I'm using the prempt rt kernel 4.8.11 rt7 and linuxcnc 2.7 on linux mint 18.1 I installed according to the tutorial of cncnoob1979

I think the absence of the output of dmesg is because the driver is already loaded and since previously I erased the log running the halrun and loadrt functions did not do any change so the dmesg buffer is still empty

I also found that on other thread PCW added a zip file on 2014 that has exactly the xml that I wanted for configuring the 7i48 and the 7i44 but I copied it and tired to use it and the pncconf wizard crashed so something may have been wrong or is not compatible anymore
none of the firmwares and files that I got when I installed the hostmot firmware package has a similar xml file svss6_8 the closest thing is the sv12_2x7i48_72 and the sv12IM_2x7i48_72 for the 5i20 so I may use that meanwhile then patch the file manually.

More
27 Jun 2017 22:18 #95077 by Jorgefv
I tried many times but I cannot get dmesg to workbut I used the mesaflash readhmid and I got the result here
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2017 22:52 #95079 by andypugh
Sorry, I thought we had explained that dmesg isn't where the log goes to with the preempt-rt kernel.

More
27 Jun 2017 23:06 #95080 by Jorgefv
ok got it
but is it possible to know with the result of readhmid that I posted before?

More
28 Jun 2017 08:50 #95098 by andypugh
Well, your readhmid output seems to suggest that your card has an IO-only firmware, you only have GPIO pins and the onboard LEDs.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds