Hurco KM3 Conversion HELP!

More
27 Sep 2017 21:17 #99531 by tjd
Hi all,
Have an old KM3 Hurco Ultimax II CNC 3 axis Milling Machine and am hoping to retrofit to linuxcnc.

Not really sure where to start here so could do with some advice on I/O boards etc. The Hurco is currently using x3 servo motors controlled by the Servomate (CMC) system. My budget doesn't allow me to splash out on stepper motors so I'd like to utilise the servos.
I have read some of the documentation on the Servomate itself and also a bit about linking linuxcnc to servos in the Documentation. However, being a bit green at this, I'm not getting very far.

All help gratefully received.
TJD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2017 02:49 #99539 by Todd Zuercher
You wouldn't want to down grade a servo machine to stepper motors anyway.
Before you commit to a set of interface hardware, you need to identify what forms of feedback are on the machine, and how the servo-drives are commanded.
If the system uses ordinary incremental encoders and the drives operate with the common +/-10v command. A very good option is a Mesa card combo such as a 5i25/7i77.

More
29 Sep 2017 19:35 #99639 by tjd
Replied by tjd on topic Hurco KM3 Conversion HELP!
Hi and thanks for the reply. Well I’ve taken the cover off the servo (E26-2) and found an encoder on the back (datametrics RC-23 S9992B) but can’t find any info on that particular type from google. Plus the wiring loom changes the wiring connections considerably making it more difficult to trace back to the servomate.
From the Sketchy hurco literature I have, I think the servos run off +\-12v but as yet I haven’t managed to put a dvm or scope on any of the outputs. I guess what I’m looking for is a simplistic overview that tells me which pins on the I/O boards should connect where on the servo-mate. Does such a thing exist or am I barking up the wrong tree here???

More
29 Sep 2017 19:58 #99640 by Todd Zuercher

More
02 Oct 2017 11:58 #99764 by tjd
Hi Todd, thanks for the link - yes I've been wading my way through that particular PDF for some time now but, as mentioned above - I'm not really getting anywhere. So far I can find a pin out for a parallel port using stepper motors but as yet I haven't come across anything similar for servos, let alone the servomate specifically.

More
02 Oct 2017 13:15 #99765 by bevins
Replied by bevins on topic Hurco KM3 Conversion HELP!
+- 10V Velocity commands so a 5i25 7i77 combo would do, however, you need to look into encoder signals. I see no output to send encoder to Lcnc.

More
02 Oct 2017 14:52 #99768 by Todd Zuercher
It looks like the drives only use the tacho feedback and the position feedback only went to the control. That should make it a pretty straight forward conversion.
You need to confirm that the motors have encoders and not resolvers. If they are encoders a 5i25/7i77 would be perfect. If they are resolver you will need a different set of cards (5i24+7i49+ another card or 2 for digitlal io).

More
21 Oct 2017 10:06 - 21 Oct 2017 10:08 #100607 by Skullworks
I have been in the middle of the same ( Hurco KM3 ) conversion for some time.

I am overbuilding / over complicating this build because I have machine paranoia. I do not believe that any machine motion should be controllable via an HID ( keyboard or mouse ) so all jog commands will be hard wired with appropriate switches into GPIO.

I am using a HP DC7700 mATX with a with a 5125/7i77 and a 7i74 on the 5i25's 2nd port. I have several of the 7i77 plugs wired up and am dealing with issues of too many differing control voltages. The 7i74 allows me to use multiple SSerial cards for more I/O for the panel and other options.

I removed the Hurco OEM Intel Multibus card cage and OEM control power supply. The ServoMate uses 120VAC 1ph that it gets from the OEM stepdown/isolation transformer. I have a Teco FM-50 VFD to drive the spindle motor and I will add a run capacitor or 1/4hp VFD for the coolant pump so the machine can run on 240VAC 1ph.

I do not intend to control spindle speed with the VFD. I will use it to ramp up to speed 2.5 seconds to 60Hz and likewise 2.5 seconds to stop. I will use the Vari-drive to control speed for now to provide best Hp/torque from the motor running at its data plate rpm.

I have (lost at present) the VFD breaking resistor which will allow for harder spindle breaking in the future. Since I read that G84 has finally been supported (v2.8 or later) I will be able to tap using the U200 tension/compression tapping heads I have for the Hurco.

I am waiting for a tapered gib for my manual mill that was ordered a few weeks ago to get that machine running again so I can complete the chassis parts and get things all mounted up. Being impatient I used my 3D printer to make a partial gib since I could not print a 15" part. Was a partial mistake. I used AL spacers at each end to center the gib - but as I used the machine it pulled the gib into the taper and wedged it in there but good. The AL end spacers just deformed the plastic more, increasing the wedge effect.

I have made up several spread sheets which document where a signal wire is sourced on the Hurco (using OEM wiring diagrams) and which terminal connector it is connected to on the Mesa boards.

I have 24VDC/6A and a 5VDC/4A power supplies - how ever after reading many of Gene's rants I am wondering how clean these power supplies will be. I don't have a scope at present, and no budget.

While I have done an install on a laptop HDD with v2.8pre I have not begun any config. I have a remote pendant that I may use exclusively for jog functions until the machine is running well enough to cut out a proper control panel.

I have yet to tackle a good hardware E-Stop Chain. Also the OEM Icecube relay panel the Hurco used is running 120VAC control voltages to drive air valve solenoids and Siemens contractors for spindle and coolant. I will have to work with some of these, but have not gotten to that point.

Part of the OEM Hurco E-Stop signal went along with the keyboard signals which totally voids its re-use.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2017 10:08 by Skullworks. Reason: clarification

More
21 Oct 2017 18:07 - 21 Oct 2017 18:15 #100616 by tjd
Amazing!! Sounds like a proper project there!
I'd be very interested in the pin connections from the Hurco to the Mesa Boards, if you'd be willing to forward them on.

On a slightly connected issue - I don't suppose you have any spare 5i25/7i77's you'd be willing to sell on?
Last edit: 21 Oct 2017 18:15 by tjd.

More
28 Oct 2017 01:51 #100905 by Skullworks
Sorry no spares at this time. mesausa.com can get you what you need in short order.

I am almost tempted to hunt for another dead MAX-II KM3 and basically make a breakout board for the cables that went directly to the tops of the PCB's in the card cage. It would dramatically speed up a conversion reusing much of the existing wiring.

I pulled off the console and console support arm. The MAX-II control console is so radically different from other controls I can't see any way to re use the console. The E-stop switch, Power / Motion Hold / Start buttons can be used with all new wiring, and I suppose you could mount a new console on the arm.

While I have never used a FADAL, I do admire the utilitarian simplicity of the CNC88HS left side control panel. I hope to do a hybrid design that includes the wired pendant I have replacing the panel mounted MPG and related switches.

I will be glad to post the basic 7i77 wiring connections as soon as they are tested and confirmed. Nothing worse than having bad info out there that search engines will keep serving up even after corrections are posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tjd

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds