Touchy GUI - Where to find further documentation

More
30 Sep 2013 09:04 #39377 by Skippy1
Hi all,

I've been running LinuxCNC on a router for a few years using the AXIS GUI and it does what I want. Just for chuckles, last week I installed a 17" touchscreen and set up the Touchy GUI and associated Start/SingleBlock/Abort buttons and MPG.

The change from AXIS to TOUCHY is not too bad, but I can't seem to find any way to do things which I did in AXIS, like changing offsets, and touching off tools. I've had a look at the LinuxCNC User and Integrator Manuals, and trawled the web, but the information on the TOUCHY interface is pretty sparse.

I would be thankful if someone could point me to some more reference material on the day-to-day use of Touchy?

Cheers, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2013 17:56 - 30 Sep 2013 17:57 #39384 by BigJohnT
Some of Touchy is not very intuitive and the manual is very terse on Touchy. Both offsets and tool touch off is a bit tricky to figure out but have the same basic steps.

Move your axis to the offset position you wish to set. In the MDI tab press Set Origin, enter the value for the axis you wish to set, then press the start button. It took me a while to figure that out.

I created a tool load macro on my mill to run T#1 M6 G43. I run this macro to load a tool then use the tool touch off.

Another thing I figured out is the stop button clears any error messages from the bottom of the screen.

JT
Last edit: 30 Sep 2013 17:57 by BigJohnT.

More
01 Oct 2013 17:56 #39438 by Skippy1
Thanks John,

I'll have to have another fiddle next weekend.

cheers,

Steve

More
07 Oct 2013 15:11 #39613 by Skippy1
Thanks again for the tip John. Touchy is working fine. Although, on the MDI page, what are the variables 'Q' and 'R' for? I had a fiddle with them, but only managed an error message of two.

Cheers,

Steve

More
07 Oct 2013 18:34 #39615 by BigJohnT
What did you touch to see Q and R?

I'm not sure what the difference is between G/XY and G/R0 but you get different options from each one.

JT

More
08 Oct 2013 13:03 #39640 by Skippy1
Working from memory here, but I went to the MDI tab, selected 'Set Origin' and down the left side of the screen (in a vertical row) X, Y, Z, G, and R were accessible. Changing X Y or Z and pressing Start changed the G54 values. Changing a Q value and pressing Start did nothing. Doing the same to R produced a little error message about something being outside of the expected something of the other. (I half expected R to allow me to rotate the axis so many degrees.)

Just for information, I am using 2.5.3 configured with PnCConf.

Cheers,

Steve

More
08 Oct 2013 17:57 #39650 by BigJohnT
That must be an error in the program as G10 L20 does not have a Q or R word.

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/gcode.html#sec:G10-L20

JT

More
07 Nov 2013 05:56 #40611 by andypugh

I'm not sure what the difference is between G/XY and G/R0 but you get different options from each one.

XY is for cartesian coordinates and R0 is for polar coordinates.

More
07 Nov 2013 20:47 - 07 Nov 2013 21:06 #40631 by BigJohnT
Thanks Andy, I can't seem to make it do anything. If I press G/R0 then 0 then next nothing happens. If I press G/R0 then 1 then next I get F. If I press G/R0 then 2 then next I get the same prompts as G/XY give for an arc.

JT
Last edit: 07 Nov 2013 21:06 by BigJohnT.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds