Master Thesis on EMC2 Robot in Wood Industry

More
13 Mar 2015 03:54 #56771 by fdumancic
fdumancic created the topic: Master Thesis on EMC2 Robot in Wood Industry
Hello everyone :)

I am writing my final thesis about an EMC 2 controlled robot to be used in wood industry generally. Since I'm really new to the LinuxCNC scene I need some help deciding what kind of a robot should I use.

From what I've learned, the most realistic solution would be to use a simple Cartesian robot in a pick and place configuration. The whole thesis is more focused on the programming part so there will be no real construction involved.

My plan is to design such a robot in Solidworks first with specified end zones and working space, after which I need to work on the programming part.

Any advice or directions are highly appreciated, as I want to learn as much as I can from this since I do have a huge interest for LinuxCNC generally.

Thank you!
More
13 Mar 2015 22:29 #56789 by andypugh
andypugh replied the topic: Master Thesis on EMC2 Robot in Wood Industry

fdumancic wrote: From what I've learned, the most realistic solution would be to use a simple Cartesian robot in a pick and place configuration. The whole thesis is more focused on the programming part so there will be no real construction involved.

If the focus of the thesis is the programming then it is possible that there might not be enough "value" in the project to earn your degree. There is almost no "programming" needed to build a conventional cartesian robot.

What academic discipline are you trying to earn a Masters in?
More
14 Mar 2015 02:00 #56797 by fdumancic
fdumancic replied the topic: Master Thesis on EMC2 Robot in Wood Industry
Master of mechanical engineering, production and manufacturing discipline! The topic was already determined by my mentor, he instructed me that I should cover the software part in highest detail as possible, I'm currently building the model based on one industrial robot so I can use its dimensions and workspace as a base for LinuxCNC.

The whole assignment is pretty much on its way as such so I don't know, I guess it's a difference in quality of studying programs. I've seen far less intricate papers and this topic of mine actually sounded overly complicated to some of the other students...

I chose it because I'm interested in the topic and would like to pursue a career in robotics in manufacturing so I guess it's better than nothing :)
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds