Customizing EMC2

More
13 Feb 2010 10:47 #1875 by mickelsen
Customizing EMC2 was created by mickelsen
Hello all,

My shop computer is dying and needs to be rebuilt. Until now I have been running mach3 to drive my CNC router but when the rebuilding is done I intend to install emc2 on it (along with Ubuntu, of course) so that I can decide for myself which I like more, emc2 or mach. While I'm waiting for the computer to be resurrected, I'm trying to learn as much about emc2 as I can without having a working machine to try it on.

I hope to use a touch probe for centering, positioning, etc., and I want to be able to write the necessary routines for this and then integrate them into emc2 so that they are available through the GUI interface. I've been told that this is possible in emc2. Would somebody be so kind as to point me in the right direction to find the documentation for this? I would also love to see examples of how others have done this (or other customizations) in the past. Does the emc2 user community tend to share solutions to things like this among the whole group? That is one of the big strengths of the mach user community and I hope it is the same here.

Anyway, if someone could help me to get started on learning this stuff, I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2010 01:10 #1887 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Customizing EMC2
Hi Mark,

Take a look at the example files for probing. You can download and burn a LiveCD and boot up on most computers and try all you like without installing. You don't really have to customize EMC to do probing, this can be handled with calls to files.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//gcode_main.html#r3_7

The open source way is sharing what you have discovered with others. There are several places to get help including here. The wiki page, the IRC, and the mailing list.

And you can customize the gui to your hearts content with pyVCP.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//hal_pyvcp.html

Enjoy
John

More
14 Feb 2010 05:22 #1890 by mickelsen
Replied by mickelsen on topic Re:Customizing EMC2
Hi John,

Thanks for the help, but at the risk of sounding even more helpless, I have to ask: where do I find the files for probing? I have a feeling that there are files for much more than just probing, wherever they are.

I already have a LiveCD to run Ubuntu and Emc2. Unfortunately, my current computer has an nVidia graphics card and drivers, so I have not been able to try too much yet :angry: :( The is definitely being fixed in the rebuild.

Thanks again,
Mark

More
14 Feb 2010 11:39 #1891 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Customizing EMC2
Hello Mark,

Try looking here. Find touch probe and much more.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl

Rick G

More
14 Feb 2010 14:20 #1893 by BigJohnT
I just looked at the LiveCD and don't see the example files that get installed when you install EMC. If you can install it you will have a bunch of example files to look at.

I've attached the smartprobe.ngc file so you can look at it. Just change the extension from txt to ngc to run it in EMC.

John

File Attachment:

File Name: smartprobe.txt
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

More
14 Feb 2010 14:32 - 14 Feb 2010 14:35 #1895 by BigJohnT
Thanks to Jymmmm on the IRC the files can be found here:

git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb

emc2.git tree, nc_files tree then raw view of the file of your choice.

Of course you will have to copy them to a thumb drive or other media when using the LiveCD without installing.

John
Last edit: 14 Feb 2010 14:35 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds