Ubuntu download with EMC (live CD)

More
04 May 2010 00:54 #2791 by mbr72cnc
Ok I downloaded the live cd from the linux.org dowload page, follow the getting start instructions to burn onto cd. Ok everything went well until I try to run on my computer, I get the Ubuntu logo at start up but after that all I get is (iniframps). Tells me to enter help for additional entries. I don't get anything else it is like I am using windows DOS all over again.
What did I do wrong? please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2010 02:10 #2792 by idavis
If you tried the Ubuntu 8.04 EMC2 LiveCD, you're having the same problem I did.

You can either try 1) the Ubuntu 6.06 LiveCD (which worked for me), or 2) if Ubuntu 8.04.4 boots ok, attempt to manually compile EMC for it -- though that did not work for me. Wasted many many hours there...

Personally, I'm hoping a new LiveCD based on Ubuntu 10.04LTS will be available soon.
-- Ian

More
04 May 2010 03:37 #2793 by mbr72cnc
Thanks for the reply I will give the other download a try first. I have plenty of blank cd's.

Thanks Again,

Mike

More
04 May 2010 11:33 #2797 by BigJohnT
I had to use 8.04.4 on two computers with newer mb's and did not have any problem installing EMC following the directions here:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins...EMC2#On_Stock_Ubuntu

The thing that will catch most with this install is they need to boot up with the real time kernal and then using the synaptic package manager remove the other kernals as each time you boot up it defaults to the non real time kernal and EMC will not run with that kernal.

John

More
04 May 2010 16:36 #2803 by mbr72cnc
:blush: I may have found the problem my computer is soooo old that it will not run ubuntu/emc2. I am, at this given moment, using ubuntu and have viewed emc2 on my emachine (vista home basic) so far is working good. I will put onto another machine.

If I need anymore help I am sure I will get it if you don't get tired of my questions.

Thanks,
Mike

More
05 May 2010 10:30 #2805 by BigJohnT
Did you try the 6.06 live cd? it might work on an older computer.

John

More
05 May 2010 17:13 - 05 May 2010 17:14 #2806 by mbr72cnc
Hello John,

Yes I tried 6.06 version, did not work either. It did load farther than 8.04. It will get to a point then screen goes black with text "uncompressing Linux, Ok............. booting Kernel" then stalls. I am assuming the computer is too small in ram/memory. I did not try the link you had posted on previous reply, should I download and burn with emc?

Thanks,
Mike
Last edit: 05 May 2010 17:14 by mbr72cnc.

More
05 May 2010 23:08 #2808 by BigJohnT
It would be worth a shot if Ubuntu 8.04.4 will install then the link shows how to install EMC after that.

Does your computer meet the minimum requirements for installing Ubuntu?

John

More
06 May 2010 01:09 #2809 by mbr72cnc
Thanks John yes my computer is way out dated. Do you have any suggestion to updating my computer? I have thrown the thought around to making my old pc into an xp style computer.

Thanks for all the help
Mike

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds