Z axis configuration

More
24 May 2010 01:42 #2980 by dcassyc1
I'm having difficulty setting up my Z axis. When I test the axis in step.conf the travel is OK, but after I run EMC, and home Z axis, it reads 8 inches. The scaling is off by one half. The servo motor has a 500 line encoder. and ratio is 14 to 18 timing belt to a 10 tpi lead screw. Safe travel is 8"
After it homes it reads 8" on the Z register, but only goes down 4" before it trips the software limit. Would anyone have an idea what 's wrong?
thanks,
Denis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 10:43 #2984 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Z axis configuration
First check what your software limits are set at, also double check the actual movement of the z axis for say a 1" move and adjust if necessary.

Rick G

More
26 May 2010 02:54 #3010 by dcassyc1
Replied by dcassyc1 on topic Re:Z axis configuration
Thanks for the reply Rick. Actually, I'd already tried that and it didn't make a difference. I couldn't think of anything else to do and in desperation I ended up making a new configuaration file with the same values for everthing and that worked out OK.
First I deleted all references to that machine in the /configs directory. There were 2 entries in the /configs directory for that machine name consisting of a directory and a step.conf file. Then I made up a new configuration file, tested it and it worked great.
cheers,
Denis

More
26 May 2010 10:17 #3015 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Z axis configuration
Glad to hear you are up and running. I wonder if you possibly had an offset on the z axis.

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds