Threading with A B phase only?

More
27 Sep 2016 13:13 #80997 by newbynobi
A little bit off topic, but...

if I add such a switch to my lathe spindle, how fast will the switch react, or better ask what rpm might it be able to count?
It would be easier than adapt an encoder 1:1 to the spindle.

Norbert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2016 13:30 #80999 by andypugh

if I add such a switch to my lathe spindle, how fast will the switch react, or better ask what rpm might it be able to count?
It would be easier than adapt an encoder 1:1 to the spindle.

It doesn't really matter as long as it is consistent at the speed that you are running at.
And spindle-synchronised moves normally happen at fairly low spindle speeds.

More
28 Sep 2016 00:39 #81019 by Mtndrew77
So the switch is PNP, and I got it all hooked up. I was expected one pulse per rev and instead I got 8. After backing out the sensor ring I confirmed eight slots. So I'm sort of back where I started but I a smaller scale. How do I get 8 pulses down to one?.

More
28 Sep 2016 08:38 #81027 by andypugh

So the switch is PNP, and I got it all hooked up. I was expected one pulse per rev and instead I got 8. After backing out the sensor ring I confirmed eight slots. So I'm sort of back where I started but I a smaller scale. How do I get 8 pulses down to one?.

Probably the easiest way is to make a 1-slot sensor ring. And possibly swap the proximity sensor for an NPN. They are very cheap on eBay.

More
28 Sep 2016 15:50 #81041 by Todd Zuercher
For a test you might be able to put a piece of tape over 7 of the slots. And if that works fill them in with something more permanent.

More
28 Sep 2016 23:50 #81065 by Mtndrew77
Unfortunately for me the sensor ring is also the lock nut that holds the back spindle bearing in. I going to try soldering in the extra holes for now to get it going. Then I can make a new ring. I'll let you know how it all works out.

More
24 Oct 2016 16:53 #81995 by Mtndrew77
I soldered up the holes and then filed them. It worked beautifully! Thanks for all the help.
I posted some pictures in the show your stuff section

More
06 Feb 2017 14:08 #87392 by MacGalempsy
How does one go about programming the proximity switch as the index pulse? If the switch covers a range of counts, is it possible to capture the counts on the rising and falling edges, then move to the middle?

More
06 Feb 2017 14:18 #87393 by andypugh
The rising edge will be used as the index.
This is perfectly OK, as long as it is consistent.

More
16 Feb 2017 16:27 #88059 by Stormbird
Hi I am a hobbyist and I too have (just acquired) an Emcomat 20E with faulty electronics (so faulty that spindle drive nor feed drive works) and want to upgrade/swap out all the electronics to a modern control system (with DRO and quasi-CNC). I could maybe keep the stepper motors for feed and for the thread cutting auto insert/withdrawal, but will fit a smaller spindle drive motor to match my inverter for domestic supply which has a 3hp max limit (so will replace with a 2.2kw 3 phase dual voltage motor). I have found very little info from EMCO on the electronics although I do have a complete manual. In particular I cannot find any info on the Linear encoders to usefully find a matching DRO system, nor what program could set pitch diameters to the the existing leadscrew feed motor for thread cutting. In terms of control, I would ideally like to have allthe original program functions and add to those an ability to cut diagonal paths (in other words drive X and Z simultaneously). I would be very grateful to hear what you have done and at what cost. Kind regards, Adam

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds