PCI-E Parallel Card Problem

More
19 Oct 2016 11:32 - 19 Oct 2016 11:35 #81834 by ped2datakanji
Hmm,

I found another PCI-E Card from Moschip, it's 9901 chipset

Since i live in Brazil it's hard to find good hardware for a good price, even the ones that were supposed to be cheap is quite expensive,

so i did a new research and found this:

produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-74233348...baixo-_JM?source=gps

if you guys want, i can translate the page (i'll try my best :) ),

and what helped me to find this PCI-E Card was this article:

forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/18-computer/189...-parallel-port-cards
Last edit: 19 Oct 2016 11:35 by ped2datakanji.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2016 12:12 #81837 by Todd Zuercher
Why are you so stuck on PCI-e? PCI are cheaper, easier to find, more likely to work without hassle, and from your pictures your MB has free PCI slots?
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=parallel+p...el+port+pci&_sacat=0

More
19 Oct 2016 13:14 #81842 by ped2datakanji

Why are you so stuck on PCI-e? PCI are cheaper, easier to find, more likely to work without hassle, and from your pictures your MB has free PCI slots?
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=parallel+p...el+port+pci&_sacat=0

Any of those cards will work fine?

my worry is happen like the pci-e card and the shipping time, it take about 2 months to arrives.

More
19 Oct 2016 15:33 #81852 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic PCI-E Parallel Card Problem
I have confirmation from a LinuxCNC user with a CH382L PCIE card (like you have)
that it works with LinuxCNC, so I dont think you need to change the card

More
19 Oct 2016 16:21 #81853 by ped2datakanji

I have confirmation from a LinuxCNC user with a CH382L PCIE card (like you have)
that it works with LinuxCNC, so I dont think you need to change the card

Really?????

I'll try to change the ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Debian Wheezy, and see if it helps.

More
19 Oct 2016 18:00 #81861 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic PCI-E Parallel Card Problem

And with 0xe800 it open but i can't move or do anything

How do you know this is not working?

The parallel port may well be working with the 0xE800 address and there is some other setup issue
I would verify that the port is _not_ working before getting too excited

Perhaps by reading an input pin with watch or halmeter and grounding it externally to see if it changes

More
19 Oct 2016 18:03 #81862 by andypugh
It is also possible that the config which says "port in use" or similar is the right one, and that lp or some other module has grabbed the port.

Try that config, then see is lsmod shows something like "lp" or "parport_pc" which might have taken over the port.

More
20 Oct 2016 01:17 #81878 by tommylight
I am on the phone so I can not point the exact location, but there is a paraport half tester that comes with all later versions of linuxcnc for both usual addresses, x387 and x287.
When you start linuxcnc from the menu you are presented with a config picker, under "apps" there are both testers, chose one, when asked if it should copy it to your home folder answer yes, after opening close it.
Now open a file explorer ( Linux mint-caja, wheezy-thunar, ubuntu-nautilus, etc), in your home folder you will have a linuxcnc folder, then configs, then something with 387 or 287 (depending on what you chose at the picker), open the .hal file with a text editor (mint-pluma, wheezy-mousepad or leafpad ???, ubumtu-gedit), find the line with address of parport, replace that address with the one you got from "sudo lspci -v", save and close.
Right click on the .INI file in that same folder, choose " open with" and enter "linuxcnc" under "enter custom command".
If all is good, a window with 12 buttons and 17 LEDs opens, 12 outputs and 5 inputs.
Now find a short piece of wire ( or a thin hair pin) and locate the pins with numbers 10,11,12,13,15, short one of them with the connector ground, the corresponding input LED should change to green.
If it does turn to green, connect the machine and start using it, if it doesn't go back and change the address, save, restart the computer and test again.

More
20 Oct 2016 01:19 #81879 by tommylight
PS, I hate auto correct, it says "half tester" instead of "hal tester" as it should.

More
07 Apr 2017 04:50 - 28 Jun 2021 03:10 #90987 by Bari
Replied by Bari on topic PCI-E Parallel Card Problem
It looks like there are impostor cards with the CH382L chip number that are not using the CH382L.

The correct PCI device ID should be 9710:9805

If your PCI ID is 1c00:3050 you have an impostor. 1c00 is not even a good PCI vendor ID.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WCH

pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC?restrict=1
1c00 is not on the vendor list

This driver was added to the kernel for Dev. ID 3050, Date: Sat, 26 May 2018, Kernel 4.14

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/...788f7d57b3b8d1a030ab

Debian also back ported this to earlier kernels since it is working with Kernel 4.9

The problem here is that, AFAIK, only Dev. IDs 3250 and 3253 are present in the Linux kernel serial/parallel drivers and therefore Dev. ID 3050 which is for the parallel port only configuration, isn't recognised and no driver is started.

The manufacturer, WCH, provides Windows drivers and a DOS configuration application even allowing it to be used in the DOS 0x3BC/378/278 io port address ranges and selection of SPP or ECP/EPP modes.

Device ID is set by zero-ohm links connected to pins 62 and 63 of the WCH382 chip - It may be possible to remove the link connected to pin 63 of the chip causing the card to identify as a serial/parallel combo card with Dev. ID 3250.

WCH382 Datasheet (Chinese): www.wch.cn/downloads/file/140.html
Last edit: 28 Jun 2021 03:10 by Bari.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds