ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard

More
12 Dec 2016 19:05 #83963 by tml
Hi guys,
I have just finished putting together my PC using the ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard. I have also installed LinuxCNC. Everything seems to be working fine right now. I can browse the Internet and watch videos, but I do not have audio. ASRock doesn't have drivers support for Linux, only Windows. Is it necessary to get a motherboard that supports Linux for it to work properly? Is there anything I can still do to get audio working?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2016 19:56 #83968 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard
Is the on card audio enabled in the BIOS?

Its possible that the sound chip is too new to be supported by the (fairly old) RTAI kernel supplied with LinuxCNC
It does seem to be supported (as well as HDMI sound) by a 4.x kernel so a Preempt-RT kernel /uspace LinuxCNC
would likely fix the issue, but its a fair amount or work to change.

More
13 Dec 2016 05:12 - 13 Dec 2016 05:13 #84015 by tml
Replied by tml on topic ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard
When I checked the BIOS, audio was set to auto. I just changed it to be enabled now, still no audio output though. When I plugged in my headphone jack I could hear a static noise, which I think is normal...
Last edit: 13 Dec 2016 05:13 by tml.

More
13 Dec 2016 08:49 #84018 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard
In my recent experience, you need a modern distro to get device level support. I ended up installing Mint 17.3, recompiling the kernel to a later version (patched for preemptive support, which I dont think you need to do for the RTAI). Then I compiled linuxcnc. With that pain behind me I don't want to go back to using Wheezy. Mint is nice!

More
19 Dec 2016 02:02 #84392 by tml
Hi rodw,
Thanks for your suggestion. Is the installation process for Mint 17.3 the same as LinuxCNC 2.7.X? I'm not really sure what preemptive support means but I'll look more into it. If I understand correctly, the recompiling the kernel to a later version step is optional?

- Tim

More
19 Dec 2016 02:49 #84394 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic ASRock H97 Pro4 motherboard
Much the same
1. Install mint.
2. Get the kernel you need to support your hardware
3. Patch the kernel only if you are using ethernet cards and need pre-emptive kernel
4. Compile the kernel using a script from PCW
5. Install GIT
6. Get the source for your version of choice
7. Compile Linuxcnc
8. Run it

See my journey here forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ng-uspace-for-master

More
22 Dec 2016 04:29 #84541 by tml
I've been searching for a quicker fix to get the audio working without too much work. My on-board audio uses a Realtek ALC892 chipset. Realtek has 2 HD Audio Codecs drivers listed for Linux (2.6 and 3.0):

www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsVi...peID=3&GetDown=false

I'm thinking of getting the driver installed first. Do you think it might work?

More
29 Dec 2016 06:41 #84838 by tml
OK, just want to give everyone a quick update that I now have the audio working. All I really had to do was keep playing around with the BIOS and it finally just works.

Here is my current setting:
Primary Graphics Adapter - Onboard (I'm using CPU integrated graphics)
Onboard HD Audio - Enabled
Front Panel - Auto
On/Off Play - Disabled
Onboard HDMI HD Audio - Disabled

More
26 Feb 2017 00:19 #88622 by tml
Okay, so lately I've ran into another issue with my computer. After leaving the computer in Suspend or Hibernate mode, it would not wake up. The computer does "try" to wake up with the fan turning back on, etc... but my monitor would say no signal read like it's not even connected. I didn't have this problem until recently, and the only change I can think of is that I did install fresh updates recently when the Update Manager prompted me to. Does anyone else experience this problem? I had to reset my computer every time and would lose anything I was working on if not saved. Right now I would have to leave it on all the time, because I don't want it to happen again.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds