mesa 7i76E - new pinout?

More
05 Feb 2017 12:28 #87335 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic mesa 7i76E - new pinout?

But anyway - may be I was wrong respect to the encoders. I wanted to have an upgrade path for small servos, but after a quick research it looks like leadshine offers the same interface for small servos as for CL steppers. So may be, I don't need the encoder channels.

It is generally preferred to take the encoder feedback to LinuxCNC, even if the drives also use it.

Regarding my requirements, I'll start with 5 CL steppers, a spindle channel, 6 endstops, 4 relais and 3 MPG channels and several IOs for pushbuttons ...
My upgrade path is 2 additional stepper channels and 3 endstops.

This is sounding quite close to the spec of a 7i76E, except short by one MPG channel. If you added a 7i73 to the system, then you would have one ethernet cable from the PC to the controller, then another ethernet cable back to the operator panel for the 7i73, which can then be wired for up to 4 MPGs and your pushbuttons.

Upgrade path would be either a 7i76 not-E or the 7i85 to add encoder channels (the 7i76e_7i76x1_7i85x1_7i85sx1D.bit firmware looks about right for that)

7i76E puts you firmly in the class of DB25 cards.

You could, instead, look at the 7i80HD-16 and the 50-pin cards. They are rather more general-purpose than the 7i76 etc, you don't get the same mixture of functions on each daughter-board, so choose daughter boards to add the functions.
7i80HD-16 running the 7i80hd_16_svst8_12_2x7i47.bit firmware and with one 7i47 would give you 5 stepgens and 4 encoders. (full encoders, but still usable for MPG) and then you would add something like a 7i37TA for the GPIO. Upgrade path there would be a second 7i47 for another 5 steppers and 4 encoders. (unused step channels are available as 5V outputs, unused encoder channels as 5V inputs)

The 7i76E + 7i73 gives you everything that you seem to want at the moment, for about the same price as the Benezan, with a reasonably clear upgrade path. The 7i80HD might look like a better option if there is a chance that you would want to move away from step-dir to analogue servos, in which case you just change the daughter boards. You could still do this with a 7i76E, just connect 7i77 boards to the expansion headers, and ignore the step-channels on the 7i76E. You could still use the spindle interface, GPIO and smart-serial ports.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2017 13:05 #87337 by Reinhard
Replied by Reinhard on topic mesa 7i76E - new pinout?

But anyway - may be I was wrong respect to the encoders. I wanted to have an upgrade path for small servos, but after a quick research it looks like leadshine offers the same interface for small servos as for CL steppers. So may be, I don't need the encoder channels.

It is generally preferred to take the encoder feedback to LinuxCNC, even if the drives also use it.

That was my initial idea - therefor I started to go for 7i80HD (well, I additionally love the pin setting scheme of the 50pin connectors).
PCW wrote, that bringing the encoder to linuxcnc too, will cause some trouble on the encoder lines.
I'm confused :(
_

If you added a 7i73 to the system, then you would have one ethernet cable from the PC to the controller, then another ethernet cable back to the operator panel for the 7i73, which can then be wired for up to 4 MPGs and your pushbuttons.

Good point! Guess I'll go for that.
_

7i76E puts you firmly in the class of DB25 cards.
You could, instead, look at the 7i80HD-16 and the 50-pin cards.

Yes, that's the orange instead of an apple ;)
_

They are rather more general-purpose than the 7i76 etc, you don't get the same mixture of functions on each daughter-board, so choose daughter boards to add the functions.

Agree! My problem is finding a bitfile, that brings all the modules I need.
_

7i80HD-16 running the 7i80hd_16_svst8_12_2x7i47.bit firmware and with one 7i47 would give you 5 stepgens and 4 encoders. (full encoders, but still usable for MPG) and then you would add something like a 7i37TA for the GPIO.

Hm, afaik the 7i47 does not have a spindle channel and the 7i47S support 4 step/dir channels only.

So from my point of knowing I'll need:
1x 7i80HD
1x 7i47S
1x 7i47
1x 7i73
and I need them all at first step - no upgrade path. About 450 bucks from cncmonster.
Quite a big orange ;)

And what about the bitfile? Does it support all modules needed?

More
05 Feb 2017 19:58 #87366 by andypugh

PCW wrote, that bringing the encoder to linuxcnc too, will cause some trouble on the encoder lines.

Many drives have outputs that mirror the encoder inputs, for external use. If they exist, you would use those.

So from my point of knowing I'll need:
1x 7i80HD
1x 7i47S
1x 7i47
1x 7i73
And what about the bitfile? Does it support all modules needed?

Unfortunately I can't see one. I think that (in theory) any channel on the 7i47 can be a smart-serial channel (for the 7i73) but I am not seeing an obvious candidate firmware.

To be honest, I am struggling to work out which firmware works with which daughter card, and I am pretty familiar with the Mesa products. I can see why you are finding it hard to work out.

More
05 Feb 2017 20:14 - 05 Feb 2017 20:19 #87368 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic mesa 7i76E - new pinout?
It difficult because thats a fairly weird selection of cards

Lets start from scratch

What actual I/O do you need? (MPGs, digital ins and outs)

What type of drives do you have? How many Axis?

Do you need per axis encoder feedback from the drives?
(this is of somewhat questionable value on standard stepper motor systems since it can really only flag errors)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2017 20:19 by PCW.

More
06 Feb 2017 04:57 #87380 by Reinhard

Lets start from scratch

good point :)
_

Do you need per axis encoder feedback from the drives?
(this is of somewhat questionable value on standard stepper motor systems since it can really only flag errors)

I don't know! My stepper drivers don't have an encoder output, so I'll do, what you recommend.
The LiChuan stepper driver provide a feedback and alarm channel, but the Leadshine do not. So don't know, whether linuxcnc should know about the feedback channels?
_

What actual I/O do you need? (MPGs, digital ins and outs)
What type of drives do you have? How many Axis?

Ok, I build a 4 axis gantry mill with all closed loop steppers (stepper driver need the encoder signals).
So I have (as an orange setup):
1x CL-Stepper X-Axis
2x CL-Stepper Y-Axis
1x CL-Stepper Z-Axis
1x CL-Stepper A-Axis

Each Stepper has a (moving) inductive endstop switch: 4x Endstop PNP opener (NC)

As the A-Axis is below the 2D working area, I want to drive the mill with 2 different machine settings (one with A-Axis and one without), so X- and Z-Axis have double Endstops (and different machine limits), which switch depending on the active machine setting. I don't want to switch the hardware endstops, so I have 6 Endstop-Input channels.

The MPG-Channels are UI-elements to change speed factors of fast moves, work moves and spindle speed => 3 MPG channels
Than I want an UI-Element for manual movement: 1 MPG channel and 9 switches

Keyboard Switches: I don't know the exact amount yet. At least 3, realistic may be 10 or more.
Relais for cooling/dust collection: about 4 at first start

My upgrade path includes a B-Axis (possibly 2 steppers) and a tool changer: 2-3x CL-Stepper + 2x Endstop and for sure some switches.
At least 2 Relais for Door-Opener, Tool-Changer ...

More
06 Feb 2017 15:07 #87397 by PCW
So without encoder feedback, a 7I76E + a 7I73 would do everything currently
and adding a 7I85S (or any common parallel port breakout) would take care of your eventual
B axis expansion

More
07 Feb 2017 04:43 #87435 by Reinhard
So we're back at the starting point.
7i76E + 7i73 will probabely work, as the 7i76E has the RS-422 Channel onboard.

but what about the 7i85S extension? The card brings differential channels, but no explicit step/dir channels.
There's only one bitfile for 7i76E and 7i85S: 7i76e_7i85x1_7i85sx1D.bit
Does this bitfile allow additional step/dir channels through the 7i85S?
And where do I find the pin-settings for the 7i85S?
Isn't it right the same, as I asked in my 3rd posting in this thread?

More
07 Feb 2017 11:15 #87448 by andypugh

There's only one bitfile for 7i76E and 7i85S: 7i76e_7i85x1_7i85sx1D.bit
Does this bitfile allow additional step/dir channels through the 7i85S?

I don't know. Rather oddly I can't find a ,vhd file that looks like it defines that bitfile.

You could find out in moments by flashing the bitfile and having a look, but that's not really the right sequence of events for a buying decision, is it?

Other firmwares with a "7i85S" in the name seem to contain this block:

IOPortTag & x"00" & SSerialTag & SSerialRX2Pin, -- I/O 00 PIN 1 PIN 1
IOPortTag & x"00" & SSerialTag & SSerialTX2Pin, -- I/O 01 PIN 14 PIN 2
IOPortTag & x"08" & StepGenTag & StepGenStepPin, -- I/O 02 PIN 2 PIN 3
IOPortTag & x"08" & StepGenTag & StepGenDirPin, -- I/O 03 PIN 15 PIN 4
IOPortTag & x"07" & StepGenTag & StepGenStepPin, -- I/O 04 PIN 3 PIN 5
IOPortTag & x"07" & StepGenTag & StepGenDirPin, -- I/O 05 PIN 16 PIN 6
IOPortTag & x"06" & StepGenTag & StepGenStepPin, -- I/O 06 PIN 4 PIN 7
IOPortTag & x"06" & StepGenTag & StepGenDirPin, -- I/O 07 PIN 17 PIN 8
IOPortTag & x"05" & StepGenTag & StepGenStepPin, -- I/O 08 PIN 5 PIN 9
IOPortTag & x"05" & StepGenTag & StepGenDirPin, -- I/O 09 PIN 6 PIN 11
IOPortTag & x"02" & MuxedQCountSelTag & MuxedQCountSel0Pin, -- I/O 10 PIN 7 PIN 13
IOPortTag & x"01" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountQAPin, -- I/O 11 PIN 8 PIN 15
IOPortTag & x"01" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountQBPin, -- I/O 12 PIN 9 PIN 17
IOPortTag & x"01" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountIDXPin, -- I/O 13 PIN 10 PIN 19
IOPortTag & x"02" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountQAPin, -- I/O 14 PIN 11 PIN 21
IOPortTag & x"02" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountQBPin, -- I/O 15 PIN 12 PIN 23
IOPortTag & x"02" & MuxedQCountTag & MuxedQCountIDXPin, -- I/O 16 PIN 13 PIN 25

Which is one smart-serial channel, 5 stepgens and 4 encoders.

More
07 Feb 2017 11:59 #87450 by Reinhard

You could find out in moments by flashing the bitfile and having a look, but that's not really the right sequence of events for a buying decision, is it?

You got the point! I want a firmware, which already supports all update options. So if I buy the cards and PCW has an accident (which I definitely don't wish), I'll be able to perform the planned update on my own.

More
07 Feb 2017 15:57 #87462 by PCW
7i85S: 7i76e_7i85x1_7i85sx1D.bit is a bitfile that was custom made.
Since it was custom, I probably forgot to add the pinout source to the repository.
It supports 1 7I85 and one 7I85S in stepgen mode (7I85S configs using PWM have a SP in the name)

You can imagine its impossible to have bitfiles for every daughterboard combination
so odd combinations are very likely to require custom bit files

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds