Homing Z with 2.7.8 and AXIS GUI

More
08 Feb 2017 03:50 #87506 by Cliffnz
Hi, Trying to install LinuxCNC 2.7.8 after happily running 2.6.x - for years.
Version 2.6.x allowed a probe pad for homing a gantry Z axis - by using the probe signal and linking it to the axis.2.home-sw-in. The 2.7.x restriction of one signal per pin has been worked around but I'm still working with other differences.
The behaviour of AXIS GUI 2.7.8 is that as soon as a home pin/signal exists for all the axis it changes the 'Home axis' button to 'Home all' axis. Any chance that is provided as a separate button - or is it customisable?.
I'm finding the need to re-edit the ini file after each run of the stepconf wizard an extra task - is there likely to be any improvement in the future to avoid that?.
Appreciate any guidance - TIA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2017 05:05 #87507 by cmorley

Hi, Trying to install LinuxCNC 2.7.8 after happily running 2.6.x - for years.
Version 2.6.x allowed a probe pad for homing a gantry Z axis - by using the probe signal and linking it to the axis.2.home-sw-in. The 2.7.x restriction of one signal per pin has been worked around but I'm still working with other differences.
The behaviour of AXIS GUI 2.7.8 is that as soon as a home pin/signal exists for all the axis it changes the 'Home axis' button to 'Home all' axis. Any chance that is provided as a separate button - or is it customisable?.
I'm finding the need to re-edit the ini file after each run of the stepconf wizard an extra task - is there likely to be any improvement in the future to avoid that?.
Appreciate any guidance - TIA.

It's not clear to me what the problem is for using the probe for homing (whats the difference between 2.6 and 2.7 ?)

There has always been a restriction of one _driving_ pin for each signal - there can be multiple driven pins.
Could you explain what you mean by 2.7.x 's restriction in this regard.

Homing sequence is customizable - its probably hard to find in the manual:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/in....html#_home_sequence
AXIS looks at these entries to decide if it can home-all or not - probably should be mentioned in the AXIS docs.
(This apparent change is probably more to do with stepconf being different between 2.6 and 2.7)

As for stepconf - It is not likely to ever be smart enough to notice what you changed and not change it again.
aside from user added HAL code to the custom.hal file, stepconf will rewrite everything each time.
The general held idea here is if you are to the point you are changing a bunch of things after using stepconf then it's time
to stop using stepconf. (just use it to get a general running config then hand edit from there)
The probably more truthful answer is configuration programs like stepconf are already a maintenance nightmare - few want to
add to that chore.

cheers
Chris M

More
08 Feb 2017 07:31 #87517 by Cliffnz
I tried to replace the following 2.6 link hal entries with the equivalent 2.7 net hal entries and received the 'was already linked' error messages.
newsig probe bit
linkps parport.1.pin-13-in => probe
linksp probe axis.2.home-sw-in

This is a difference between 2.6 and 2.7 I've found.

A workaround is to dedicate the probe pin to z limit. This means I can't use the probe pin for dual use - zeroing/homing the z axis on the tool tip and for the probe.

Cheers
Cliff

More
08 Feb 2017 13:17 - 08 Feb 2017 13:17 #87540 by andypugh

I tried to replace the following 2.6 link hal entries with the equivalent 2.7 net hal entries and received the 'was already linked' error messages.
newsig probe bit
linkps parport.1.pin-13-in => probe
linksp probe axis.2.home-sw-in

This is a difference between 2.6 and 2.7 I've found.

That should be fine, although newsig and link are now rarely used.
You could use
net probe  parport.1.pin-13-in  => axis.2.home-sw-in 
net probe  motion.probe-input

Or even all on one line:
net probe  parport.1.pin-13-in  => axis.2.home-sw-in  motion.probe-input

It may be that you are misinterpreting an error message related to a syntactical (or spelling) problem in the HAL.

Did you re-create the config with stepconf, or keep the original config files and modify them? (The second option is probably the preferable one).
Last edit: 08 Feb 2017 13:17 by andypugh.

More
08 Feb 2017 22:34 #87613 by Cliffnz
I have been using the stepconf wizard.
Adding "net probe parport.1.pin-13-in => axis.2.home-sw-in motion.probe-input" then provides 'was already linked to home-z'.
Unless I have parport.1.pin-13-in against home-z (using stepconf) AXIS GUI doesn't attempt a home on Z.

More
08 Feb 2017 23:28 #87617 by andypugh

I have been using the stepconf wizard.
Adding "net probe parport.1.pin-13-in => axis.2.home-sw-in motion.probe-input" then provides 'was already linked to home-z'.
Unless I have parport.1.pin-13-in against home-z (using stepconf) AXIS GUI doesn't attempt a home on Z.

OK, so make it
net home-z  axis.2.home-sw-in  motion.probe-input
then.

(or something like that, it is hard to guess accurately when we have only seen part of the HAL file)

More
09 Feb 2017 00:58 #87627 by Cliffnz
Ah - then get 'probe tripped during homing motion'. That seems a reasonable alert. I can admit defeat at this point and regroup with some hardware changes.
Thank you for your assistance. It'd still be great is AXIS GUI had two buttons - 'home axis' and 'home all axis' :) but hey.

Cheers
Cliff 

More
09 Feb 2017 13:31 #87656 by andypugh

Ah - then get 'probe tripped during homing motion'. That seems a reasonable alert. I can admit defeat at this point and regroup with some hardware changes. 

Or you could mask the probe input in HAL until the axis is homed.
loadrt and2 count=1
addf and2.0 servo-thread
net home-z  axis.2.home-sw-in  and2.0.in0
net z-homed axis.2.homed and2.0.in1
net probe and2.0.out motion.probe-input

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds