Magic Z example

More
16 Feb 2017 16:03 #88056 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Hi

I have built a couple of spindle machines using Linux CNC and I'm ready to start testing my new laser machine build. I have a 100 watt CO2 on a 5' x 5' XY machine I built. There is a manually controlled Z axis that I can use for focusing and moving the head out of the way but LinuxCNC does not control that axis. I would like to use Z depth in my gcode to control laser power.

Can anyone please point me to an example of how to use Magic Z or better yet variable Z depth to control power for my laser? Right now it is just manually controlled but that is limiting. I have found mentions of magic Z on several sites but have never found a description of how that is enabled.

Thanks
Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2017 02:52 #88095 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Magic Z example
Did you find this?
github.com/bjj/2x_laser

More
17 Feb 2017 03:26 #88096 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Yes I found that one. It mentions Magic Z and also discusses how they do raster but it seems very complicated. Then again all the ones I found either fall into the "just mentions magic Z" case or "wow that is really complicated". That's is what has me worried. It seems that you should be able to proportionally scale pwm control of the laser power based on the Z depth alone. Say 1" = 100% or something like that so you set .5" and get 50% power. Then image to gcode would work to raster and you can set a depth that correlates to the laser power you want when you cut and vector. Maybe it is much more complicated than I think. If it was that simple someone would have done it and it would be common.

Thanks for the reply.

More
17 Feb 2017 12:07 #88105 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Magic Z example
Search this forum for z axis pwm. There is a thread by me with everything included except the "magic". There is no magic in machines.
Am on phone.

More
17 Feb 2017 16:31 #88122 by jeffgar2000@gmail.com
Awesome. Found it.

I have searched but knowing your user name made the difference.

"There is no magic in machines." - I try to explain that to my managers every day.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.665 seconds