What program could I use to move a 5 axis machine? - Please help -

More
06 Mar 2017 19:14 #89099 by lizzette888
Hello

My name is Melissa Lopez and I recently downloaded LinuxCNC , I was wondering what type of software could I use to move a 5 axis machine. I know StepConf Wizard only goes up to 4 axis. Could someone help me with this? I am new to LinuxCNC as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 19:20 #89100 by andypugh
You can create a 4-axis machine with stepconf, and then hand-edit the HAL and INI files to make it into a 5-axis machine.

Probably best to make a copy of the whole stepconf-created configuration folder and edit that so yo have a working config to use as a reference.

The format of the HAL and INI should be fairly easy to figure out for this, it is just a copy-and-paste exercise and some numbers/letters to change.

However, you might find that a parallel port is a bit short on pins for a 5-axis system. You will probably need some home / limit switches to share input pins.

More
06 Mar 2017 19:53 #89102 by Todd Zuercher
Configuring a 5-axis cnc is a complex task, beyond the scope of simple config wizard such as Stepconf. I would suggest starting by studying the documentation for Linuxcnc, linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/ and looking at and playing with the 5-axis machine simulations included with Linuxcnc (especially the vismach ones). And working with the development version of LInuxcnc (Master) as it is a little better suited for a machine configuration using non-trivial kinematics. There is a lot to learn for someone to be able to tackle such a project, especially for someone unfamiliar with configuring cnc control systems.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds