Ox Metal CNC with Gecko g540 Problems

More
10 Mar 2017 14:01 #89328 by Dayton
Hello everyone I'm building the Ox-Metal CNC machine (www.openbuilds.com/threads/ox-metal-cnc-router-mill.7218/) and using the Gecko g540 driver. I had all the axis's working but then I started tweeking it and now I can't get my Z axis to work properly any more. When I jog it it will switch to the wrong direction and it is making a lot more noise. I change all my settings back the the original but the problem still persists.
I'm attaching the .hal and .ini files. Please let me know what other information is needed.
I am a complete newbie at this, I went and started building the machine before I knew anything about Linuxcnc.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2017 15:16 - 10 Mar 2017 15:16 #89333 by PCW
as a WAG:

You have step times set to 1 usec (1000 ns):

setp parport.0.reset-time 1000

This is known to be marginal with G540 drives and 3.3V interfaces
You might try setting this to 2 usec (2000) just as a test
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 15:16 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dayton

More
10 Mar 2017 15:46 - 10 Mar 2017 15:48 #89336 by Dayton
Thank you for your quick response PCW but unfortunately it didn't change anything. It is still changing direction. What I don't get is that when I first set it up the z axis was the one working properly.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2017 15:48 by Dayton.

More
10 Mar 2017 17:10 #89349 by tommylight
Are you geting real time error warnings in Linuxcnc?
If yes, raise the base thread value to 100000 and test.
Also check the motor wires and the current set resistor. Not enough current or to much current can do that to stepper motors.
Do not use a cheap parallel port cable, they will cause much more problems than they are worth, they have no shielding and the wires are extreemly thin.
As a side note, if the motor starts to get warm within 2 to 3minutes of turning on the G540, one of the mosfets is gone, but you have 4 outputs so change the motor connectors and test each motor and each output.
WARNING: never ever disconnect or connect motor wires while the G540 is powered. That will destroy the output mosfets instantly.

More
10 Mar 2017 19:24 #89363 by Dayton
Thank you for that warning, I almost did that. Turns out it was a bad solder connection and the noise was being cause by the coupler rubbing.
I am getting some real time errors which is next on my list to debug

More
10 Mar 2017 19:49 #89369 by tommylight
Read my post again, you have the solution for that also.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds