live tool lathe

More
05 Apr 2017 18:41 #90941 by monit111
live tool lathe was created by monit111
Hi Guys

i was wondering if anyone here has managed to get Linuxcnc to work with a lathe that has y axis /live tools and c axis that is also the spindle.

and if its not to much to ask then a sub spindle?

i don't know much about linuxcnc but I was talking to a gentleman some months ago and he says it is all possible.

would love any support with this and very happy to pay for the experts on here

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 20:09 #90944 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic live tool lathe
Most probably it is possible to do what you want or need, Linuxcnc is extreemly flexible and can be configured to do a lot of things. As always, there is more than one way of doing something, it just needs some reading and some hands on experience, rarely some basic programing to get to what you aimed for.
There are plenty of information here, very helpful forum users, wiki and of course youtube for when you need inspiration, just search youtube for andy pugh, emcpt, toma linuxcnc, dabit, arceye etc etc. There are some huge machines controled by it, on one of the videos there you will have to wait to see a human on the machine to get the idea how huge that machine is.
As for payment, learn, use, teach others. No other payment required.

More
05 Apr 2017 20:32 #90945 by monit111
Replied by monit111 on topic live tool lathe
thanks for getting back to me.

I was trying to figure out more about the mesa boards waiting for them to get back to me think that could be 20-30% of my issues out of the way.

I have zero coding experience only machining unfortunately (I made an LED blink on an Arduino couple of weeks back) but that's about it.

I have been reading on this forum and other places about the HAL (seems to be important it comes up a lot)

but more importantly I was given an old MORI and basically nearly all of the electronics are dead all servos will need swapping out box ways and screws seem in very good condition the live turret is also good got a price for a new 808d controller and basically laughed for a good 10 mins

More
05 Apr 2017 21:00 #90946 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic live tool lathe
You should really spend soms time checking the drives and motors, the rest of the electronic is not important. Drives can handle a lot of use without failing, they do cost a lot and finding something to fit your existing motors requires a lot more reading. It pays off to try and salvage the drives, especialy if they are velocity mode ( with tacho feedback ) and +-10V control. In that case a Mesa 5i25 with a 7i77 will do all of the other stuff coupled with Linuxcnc.
Also schematics would help a lot or manuals for the drives at least.
Hal is the "hardware abstraction layer" or the glue between the software and hardware ( oversimplified ).
Have a look through the forum and read some of the tutorials, they are a nice way to learn a lot of things quickly.
Regards,
Tom

More
06 Apr 2017 18:00 #90976 by monit111
the driver on this at the moment is the called SG 30A looked it up seems a china product.
this machine has been thru many strange changes.
but the frame is in amazing condition.

do you know if a driver like that can work with a mesa board?
also the c axis has external encoder so would mesa work with that?

I have dedicated next Monday to figuring out basics of Linux software side.

thanks

More
11 Apr 2017 12:07 #91178 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic live tool lathe

i was wondering if anyone here has managed to get Linuxcnc to work with a lathe that has y axis /live tools and c axis that is also the spindle

I don't know if anyone has done all those things at the same time, but I think that they have all been done.
This video certainly seems to show C-axis and live-tool

I have created an experimental version of LinuxCNC that supports up to 9 spindles, but that is not likely to be added even to the development version until after 2.8 is released. In the meantime you would have to control secondary spindles with custom M-codes or remapped G-code.

More
12 Apr 2017 16:03 #91253 by monit111
thank for the comment.
yes I'm beginning to realise this will need a substantial coding skills. I will try a bit more to even understand this but if I cant find a way for (me) to be able to get this to work then I will just buy a Fanuc controller for this time.

I'm hoping I can get this to work but this machine needs so much work as is I'm worried that servicing it and figuring out how to get linuxcnc to run on it might be way above my skill set.

I did try to contact the company for the link you sent but have not heard anything from them yet (I actually think they are still kind of figuring it out also) but if they do it then I'm happy to pay for that particular set of skills.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds