[solved]disconnect mesa -> ssd problem ... this my solutions

More
11 Apr 2017 12:26 - 11 Apr 2017 12:35 #91180 by bkt
In these old post ...
wiring mesa -> ssd problem
I have work a lot around a strange problem about mesa and ssd ....
First at all ... is a bus problem related not mesa card.

The problem the problem can get out when you accidentally disconnect db25 from mesa 7i77 and 7i76 with 5i25 and 6i25 fpga card, and all of your electrical devices are connected and powered, DRIVE IS DISEABLE ... if are enable you're either very unlucky or very crazy .... at these point you can only reconnect and restart your config ... but something can go wrong and a lot of error messages is show and plus the "creazy messages" ..."waiting for s.joints" .... from these point your config not work at all ....
The 5V become from a external converter.

In the old post's suggestion it was to do an upgrade ... and i make it ... and i lost a lot of my time ... but today, I test a new solution for the same error ....

delete all your config ... rewrite mesa firmware ... use halcmd for test mesa card .... use pncconf/stepconf for make a new "fake" config (do not waste too much time to do this, take all that is asked of standards) ... then run the fake config and stop it.

Now go into trash folder and edit every single file of your old config ... save every single file as the old one but in desktop ... now close the editor and transfer all config file saved in desk into new config folder (the same name as old one ...for simplicity) ... Now your old configuration will start to work again ...

Shame not to have had this solution last year I lost a lot of time for anything ... but not all evil comes to harm ... in fact, I learned many things.

Why it happens?
1° the better things is disconnect when all is power off ... but an accident can happen ..
2° precisely I don't know these ... but other almost certainly it has a better idea of ​​my
3° I suspect that disconnection kinds of tensions that go on to write your configuration file compiled through the bus ... so everything seems ok to you because you do not have direct access to the compiled file that makes you interact with hal.

Obviously it is only right for me to add an excuse for my English horrible.
regards
Giorgio
Last edit: 11 Apr 2017 12:35 by bkt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2017 13:43 #91183 by PCW
Here's my theory:

Its likely you have a large noise current flowing from your machinery to the PC
Disconnection/reconnection caused a large EMI transient that could possibly
scramble disk data or damage components.

If you think that live disconnection is possible, I would make very sure that you have a
direct and permanent ground between your machinery and the PC so large noise currents
do not flow down the DB25 cable, and accidental connection/disconnection does not result in
large transient EMI

More
12 Apr 2017 07:36 - 12 Apr 2017 07:36 #91227 by bkt
Thanks pcw....

i think disconnection is possible only during the test and modification of wiring, not at all during normal running.

I have emi filter in every drive and on each power supply ... the solenoid for pressure is under anti-spike filter ... so the dubt: what is the level of EMI that it can damage the data on ssd?

I never investigate on these so I need some lessons about ... any description or link that can inform me about is appreciate.

regards
Giorgio
Last edit: 12 Apr 2017 07:36 by bkt.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds