Linuxcnc error

More
30 Apr 2017 15:29 #92351 by chelseafan
Replied by chelseafan on topic Linuxcnc error
you say it can be brought back in the tool changer but it cant because i just get an error. i did read the submake file. ive specifying io-orac but linuxcnc cant open this and errors out so ive specified "io". the line i have commented out is
###############################################
#connect this when toolchanger up and running and hacked io executable
#hook output from toolchanger to input to hacked iocontrol
#net tool-in-start <= oracchanger.starttool => iocontrol.0.currenttool
#################################################

so my question is can the toolchanger work with this line commented out and with "io" specified and not io-orac?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2017 06:23 #92409 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Linuxcnc error
You will be able to bring in the tool number initialisation once you understand enough about linuxcnc to follow the instructions and build io-orac and load that instead.

Loading io instead will not work because it does not contain the pin you are trying to net to, but someone has already told you that previously.

More
01 May 2017 09:55 #92419 by chelseafan
yeah i realised that this morning when i started to think about it, so it was abit of a silly question.

im not really sure im up to learning building linuxcnc to that degree of building components and actually understanding it all. understanding enough to fix little errors and rebuilding and sorting out things such as iocontrol is alot different. I bought the machines on the impression they was working because i wanted to get cracking using them. And although i dont mind doing these fixes as im learning alot but of it goes over my head at the minute and i dont have the time to learn it all or the skill either. If it comes to that, im almost tempted to rip it out and go mach3 as i have a friend who has experience there. And to make things worse i bought two machines and this was suppose to be the easier of the two as i have had to do some wiring on the triac so i need to get this working and leave it be to work on the triac.

you say i need to build io-orac and load this. first of all how is something like this built? do you mean actually re do it completely or just build the file into linuxcnc? is this done when iocontrol-orac.cc is placed in the iotask folder and a make clean done which then creates io-orac in the bin folder (i think it is)?
secondly iv checked the folder and io-orac is there and ive done all of them things but it wont load. so would this mean i have an error in the iocontrol-orac.cc file? cncbasher was a cleaver bloke from what i could gather so i must be 99% there.
so just to clear up what i have done in this order aswell. I changed the ini setting to emc=io this allowed me to get past the error of io-orac not loading. i then compiled oracchanger.comp thanks to rodw's help. Ive commented out the toolchanger line which allows me to power the machine up and move the machines axis and power the spindle. i have checked and recopied that the iocontrol files and submakefiles are in the relavant folders and done a make clean. i changed the ini file back to io-orac and it wont load this.

so i think i have done everything right have i not? sorry if it comes across as arsey im not im just alittle frustrated and inbetween some of the messgaes i have realised my question is stupid and done the suggested things so im not ignoring any of the advice at all. i think i have done everything suggested.

basically can you eloborate abit more arceye please on building io-orac please, or anyone else?

More
01 May 2017 10:55 #92424 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Linuxcnc error
You need to do a RIP build (run in place)
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/code/building-linuxcnc.html
To build it you will need the packages to supply build requirements
www.wiki.eusurplus.com/index.php?title=LinuxCNC_Run_In_Place

Looks like you already have one if you are running 2.8

The Submakefile will build all the versions of iocontrol and you can select the right one from your ini file

Linuxcnc-dev/src/emc/iotask should contain the Submakefile I amended plus the 4 versions of iocontrol that are
built from it (ioControl.cc, ioControl_v2.cc, ioControl_orac.cc and ioControl_triac.cc)

Put oracchanger.comp into Linuxcnc-dev/src/hal/components

Then cd to Linuxcnc-dev/src
make clean
./autogen.sh
./configure --(here you need to refer to the first link to build for the right kernel)
make -j$(nproc)
sudo make setuid
cd ../
. ./scripts/rip-environment

That should build and install 4 versions of iocontrol in Linuxcnc-dev/bin/
Your oracchanger component should be in Linuxcnc-dev/rtlib/{kernel flavour}/

None of this is special to this machine, it is general building 101.

The bottom line, is that having a source file in a folder does nothing, you need to build a binary from that source, which means rebuilding the RIP.

Others should be able to help you with build dependencies etc which are bound to come up

More
01 May 2017 11:03 - 01 May 2017 11:04 #92426 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Linuxcnc error
It is time to start again from scratch and this journey to date as part of your learning experience.

As Arceye has said, you need to compile LinuxCNC from source. You really need to get your hands dirty and stop taking the easy way out by ignoring our advice. I would blow away my copy of Linux at this stage and reinstall it based on this step by step tutorial.

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...-or-deb?limitstart=0

When you compile LinuxCNC from source, make sure you install it as run in place and learn how to start linuxcnc from the command line without any menus.

So then, configure your hardware without bothering about the toolchanger. Once you have got it going, then come back to the toolchanger. There are no shortcuts, You have to do the hard yards.

By the time you get this far you should have learnt a fair bit about LinuxCNC and installing the toolchanger will be a walk in the park.

All of us have had a longer journey than we initially expected. I never wanted to install Linux and patch the OS to get the preemptive kernel, I never wanted to have to learn how to compile LinuxCNC, I did not want to learn how to change the GUI screen using Glade and I did not want to learn how to write a handler for the screen in Pythion and Also ,I never expected that I would end up writing a number of HAL components to get my machine operational. But I had to and I did it. Its been a journey over six months but I am finally there.

Someone has done all the hard work for you, there seems to be only 2 files to install and they even made a make file for you but there are no shortcuts, you have to take the journey one step at a time. At the end, you'll knock that tool changer over in a day.
Last edit: 01 May 2017 11:04 by rodw.

More
01 May 2017 20:42 #92479 by chelseafan
cheers guys. i managed to follow your instructions arceye thanks and it all loaded up linuxcnc, It recognises tool 4 is loaded but the m6 command wont activate the toolchanger. the play button presses and stays pressed on the top bar but nothing happens. i tried looking through the hal pins in the machine menu and tool change pin is true. So its doing something i guess.

you are right rodw and i guess i am going to have to learn things, this machine should both run my triac and orac but i think the best thing for me to do would start again on a seperate machine for the triac which will let me get the knowledge i need. The machine does seem to be working as should now except the toolchanger which is strange.

More
01 May 2017 20:55 #92482 by chelseafan
cheers guys. i managed to follow your instructions arceye thanks and it all loaded up linuxcnc, It recognises tool 4 is loaded but the m6 command wont activate the toolchanger. the play button presses and stays pressed on the top bar but nothing happens. i tried looking through the hal pins in the machine menu and tool change pin is true. So its doing something i guess.

you are right rodw and i guess i am going to have to learn things, this machine should both run my triac and orac but i think the best thing for me to do would start again on a seperate machine for the triac which will let me get the knowledge i need. The machine does seem to be working as should now except the toolchanger which is strange. i do keep getting the error EMC_TASK_PLAN_RUN:507 though

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds