best motherboard cpu combo

More
23 Apr 2017 14:51 #91887 by neil52
I am having computer problems,if you were building computer just for Linux cnc ,what components would you use?
As in motherboard, CPU , graphics card etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2017 16:34 - 23 Apr 2017 16:36 #91889 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic best motherboard cpu combo
"best" depends on usage and expectations

Are you using software step generation? If so you need a MB parallel port or PCI/PCIE slot
for a added parallel port card. Also for software step generation, you want quite low latency

Do you need a fanless system? (the old Atom D525s and the like had decent latency and are are mostly fanless)
The newer J1800 J1900 MBs are fanless and have acceptable latency with RTAI, though typically not as good
as the older Atoms. The required latency depends on what maximum step rate is required.

Most on card (and in CPU) video is fine now

Are you doing other work on the computer so speed is an issue? If so you may want a G32XX CPU and a H81 or H97 based MB. These need fans but are 2 to 3 x as fast as the typical fanless CPUs (J1800,J1900,N30xx etc) and have quite good latency
Last edit: 23 Apr 2017 16:36 by PCW.

More
23 Apr 2017 18:33 #91901 by neil52
Replied by neil52 on topic best motherboard cpu combo
Thanks for the input. Yes I need parallel port ,biggest issue is latency, shop computer is pretty much dedicated to my cnc.

More
29 Jun 2019 13:23 #138173 by kostas
Replied by kostas on topic best motherboard cpu combo
Are there any current recommendations on MB/CPU?

I'm doing a lathe retrofit with Mesa PCI-x and servos and would like something with relatively low latency (<50000 ns) for LinuxCNC use only, with no other speed requirements. MB factor is not an issue and fanless CPU is not a requirement but would be a plus.

Keeping MB/CPU/RAM costs low (<$200) would also be a big plus.

More
01 Jul 2019 12:17 #138296 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic best motherboard cpu combo
It is years since I bought a LinuxCNC MB, so I have no up-to-date advice. But I can recommend the board-finder at mini-itx,com as a good starting point.

www.mini-itx.com/products/boards

(I would always, now, start by choosing a board with 12V DC power, for example)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kostas

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds