trivkins: Unknown parameter `coordinates' in LinuxCNC 2.7.8

More
01 May 2017 10:31 #92422 by hwylie
Having difficulty in realizing 2 joint Y-axis gantry on my machine under LinuxCNC 2.7.8 (Axis GUI), I reverted to github master 'gantry_mm' configuration, to confirm the problem arises with Master INI and HAL gantry files too.

KINS declarations appropriate to gantry configuration are as per Release 2.7.8 docs (linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/getting-sta...dating-linuxcnc.html and linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/config/ini-config.html), but LinuxCNC initialization fails, reporting:
Error: could not insert module /usr/realtime-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae/modules/linuxcnc/trivkins.ko: Unknown symbol in module
./gantry_mm.hal:3: exit value: 1
./gantry_mm.hal:3: insmod for trivkins failed, returned -1
and then repeatedly: 'trivkins: Unknown parameter `coordinates' in LinuxCNC 2.7.8'.

Being a standard distribution installation of Release 2.7.8 (and having verified 'trivkins.ko' exists in the path as above), it appears a missing/incorrect declaration may be causing the failure in my system, as reported in attached error log.

With thanks
Hugh
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2017 11:28 #92427 by rodw
Try deleting the kinstype=both from your .ini file like this
[KINS]
KINEMATICS = trivkins coordinates=xyyz 
JOINTS = 4

This will tell LCNC not to enable Joint mode which is what you want

If that does not work, read on.

Most of us building gantries today are using master branch to gain access to the new Joint Axis functionality which is designed for axes with multiple joints (like a gantry with 2 motors). I think that may mean the sim you chose is obsolete

So you have to get to master somewhere so it might as well be now. This is still a work in progress. Also look at some of the Gmoccapy sims as there are specific Joint Axis sims. Even try the plasma sim.

More
01 May 2017 15:24 #92452 by hwylie
Thanks for this first response, I had already tried eliminating kinstype=BOTH with no change in errors reported (although I do indeed want kinstype=BOTH for independent jogging in joint mode).

I understood from LCNC 2.7.8 docs that Joints-Axes functionality is already embedded as tested functionality in the distribution copy, leading me to believe there must be something amiss on my local platform.

Perhaps someone will comment on specific evolution of trivkins to support gantry functionality as documented for 2.7.8, and point me to proven gantry INI and HAL examples. I'm happy to install master if known good trivkins gantry config(s) are available.

More
01 May 2017 20:48 #92480 by rodw
Master has totally reworked homing for joint axes. If you set the homing sequence in the ini file to be a -1 for each side of the gantry. When homing it will move both sides of the gantry. When one home switch trips, it stops and the other one continues until it homes. This means you just need to play with the homing offsets to square your gantry rather than time consuming trial and error adjustments in 2.7. This actually means that the sim you are playing with is obsolete.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: hwylie

More
02 May 2017 12:47 #92517 by hwylie
FlatPlasmaGantry example of HAL 'gantry' comp instructive for initial machine conversion (running LCNC 2.5.2 for several years with electrically-slaved gantry steppers) from manual to LCNC 2.7.8-automated homing.

Wanting to get familiar with Master, the LCNC buildbot instructions to add archive signing key to my Wheezy apt keychain fail with connection refused:

hugh@LinuxCNC-2:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E
[sudo] password for hugh:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /tmp/tmp.ifuXrLTu6b --trustdb-name /etc/apt//trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-jessie-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-jessie-security-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-jessie-stable.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-squeeze-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-squeeze-stable.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-wheezy-automatic.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d//debian-archive-wheezy-stable.gpg --keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net --recv-key E0EE663E
gpg: requesting key E0EE663E from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
?: keys.gnupg.net: Connection refused
gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect: Connection refused
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0

What am I missing?

More
02 May 2017 13:06 #92519 by rodw
If you use Synaptic, you just need to follow the instructions in buildbot. Basically copy and paste the deb lines to the config. I think you disable the 2.7 deb line and you can swap between versions at will. Sorry I can't help any more, its ages since I have done it as have migrated to building from source as I need the external offset development branch. See the plasma section for details...

With master, my gantry steppers are each on separate joints and not slaved.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hwylie

More
02 May 2017 19:39 #92539 by hwylie
Thanks for your assistance, Rod

Upgraded to 2.8, got the gantry config files off gmoccapy-JA branch, sim working free of trivkins error!

Trusting live conversion (with existing Mesa 5i23 h/w) will proceed smoothly.

BR
Hugh
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
02 May 2017 21:28 #92546 by rodw
Hugh, glad you got it going. I hope the rest of the conversion goes well for you :)

It would be interesting to see if rewiring your motors to be independent and using the JA code will improve your setup (but get a working config first...)

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds