Is there some place i can learn basic linux operations needed to use linuxcnc?

More
21 May 2017 11:39 #93427 by Prad.Linuxcnc
I have installed LinuxCNC and use it to run my VMC, but i now i need to know how to perform basic tasks like changing the date,time and installing apps like HeeksCAD and a calculator. which is the best way to learn this stuff?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2017 12:51 #93430 by Todd Zuercher
googline your questions, and just messing about with it, are the best ways to learn.

More
21 May 2017 18:21 #93446 by Prad.Linuxcnc
Ah i tried...is there a GUI to install applications? Hell i couldnt change the date and time uaing the terminal bcos of some permission issue. Ok thanks

More
21 May 2017 18:30 #93447 by rodw

Ah i tried...is there a GUI to install applications? Hell i couldnt change the date and time uaing the terminal bcos of some permission issue. Ok thanks

Look for synaptic package manager. It will know about most standard programs but to use something like heekscad you are jumping in a lot deeper to get it installed but their git seems to have the instructions step by step.

github.com/Heeks/heekscnc

More
22 May 2017 14:33 #93479 by andypugh

To change system settings (rather than user settings) you typically have to use the "sudo" command to temporarily use admin privileges.
sudo date --set="22 MAY 2017 15:32:00"

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds