Gecko GM215 Stepper Controller specs.

More
22 May 2017 13:57 #93476 by Brooderman
I am setting up a mill with GM215 controllers. Gecko's docs list the specs for step time, step space, direction hold, direction setup, and whether falling or rising edge for all their controllers except the GM215. I should have bought a different controller model (since I don't plan on using the motion control features) but that's a different topic. Since this is what I have, I'm looking for the specs ( or a least a starting point) so I can get it set up and running.

I'm hoping the linuxcnc community is more responsive and faster than Gecko's support (which in the past has been weeks to get a response).

Although new to this forum, I have lurked around the linuxcnc and previously the emc program for many years. I started back in 2002 and ended up buying a Shopbot because I needed to make parts right away. My old Shopbot is still working hard for me and now I have the time to finally build a machine like I always wanted to do. I've rebuilt an old Bridgeport and have completed all the wiring to make it run.

I searched your forum for GM215 and didn't find the specs there.

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 15:08 #93482 by andypugh
You won't go far wrong with 5000nS for all settings.It is unlikely to limit speed for most systems, and you can always try adjusting down once you have the system running.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooderman

More
22 May 2017 17:01 #93489 by PCW
Actually the specifications are there but not terribly prominent in the manual

DIRECTION (TERMINAL 2)
The state of this input determines the direction a motor will move when a step pulse is received. The DIRECTION logic level must be
stable 250ns before the active edge of the step pulse.
STEP (TERMINAL 3)
A positive edge on this input (logic 0 to logic 1) causes the motor to move one increment of motion. The minimum logic 1 time is 1
microsecond and the minimum logic 0 time is 3 microseconds.

This all means setup =250 ns hold = 0, steptime = 1000 ns , stepspace =3000 ns and rising edge step

But Andys suggested 5000, 5000, 5000. 5000 ns should be fine, as its generally better to use the longest
times you can that do not interfere with the maximum required pulse rate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooderman

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds