Which vfd is best for linux cnc?

More
04 Jun 2017 16:13 #94052 by devxpy
I was looking to buy a vfd to control my 3HP ac spindle for a lathe through linux cnc.

(Running linux cnc 2.7)

I currently have a mach 3 interface board hooked up to parallel port and have my stepper motors running successfully.

Basically, i want to buy a vfd that has ample amount of documentation and support for linuxcnc.
I find it rather hard to configure hal files even though i'm an experienced python developer.
And i don't want to deal with all the pain of manually configuring stuff.

So can you guys please suggest a good vfd ?

P.S.
It would be spectacular if someone can point me towards a tutorial or a blog post.
(I have seen some you tube videos but most of them seem to use Chinese vfd's. I'm looking for a good brand like Hitachi or something.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2017 20:00 #94056 by Todd Zuercher
Linuxcnc can be made to work with virtually any VFD. Do you have something you use now with Mach3?

There are a number of drivers available for modbus control of a number of popular drives. And if you have some programming skills it isn't to hard to write your own driver or use the generic MB2HAL driver to control any modbus capable drive (which seems to be most of them.) I know there is a driver for Hitachi SJ200 drives, one for a number of Mitsubuishi drives, Automation Direct's GS2 drives, and Toshiba S11 drives. I'm sure there are more drivers out there. A good idea would be to pick a drive you'd like to use, then google the drive model and Linuxcnc, and see what support pops up.

I'm running a bunch of Lenze AC-Tech SCF drives on a 8 spindle gang router using the generic Mb2hal driver. It was a little bit of a pain to set up. But it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devxpy

More
04 Jun 2017 21:04 - 04 Jun 2017 21:12 #94059 by devxpy
No, currently i just use the cw and ccw pins to operate my spindle using a relay.

was that hitachi model no a typo??

For the programming part, i have issues putting stuff where it needs to be in the linuxcnc environment.
I have some confusions in the file structure to be exact.
Like, hal and ini files point to files that are nowhere to be seen.

I sense a lack of documentation for customization / extension part. Correct me if i'm wrong?
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 21:12 by devxpy. Reason: added more details to reply

More
04 Jun 2017 21:57 - 04 Jun 2017 21:57 #94062 by devxpy
btw, did the driver method over at wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VFD_Modbus
worked for you?

did you need to configure anything else?
Last edit: 04 Jun 2017 21:57 by devxpy.

More
04 Jun 2017 22:31 #94063 by devxpy
Also, i was browsing my local hardware stores for some vfds, and came across the HH100 series by Hitachi.
Its documentation mentions SVPWM as a control mode.

I was wondering if this is the same as the PWM that is obtained on the PWM pin on the linuxcnc using mach3 interface board. It would be great since this would require no setup this way..
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2017 22:42 #94064 by gmouer
SVPWM refers to a control method INTERNAL to the vfd. Its a sensorless vector drive, which is a higher end drive that exhibits better speed regulation. Don't know if you noticed, but the spec sheet you posted says its a 380-440 volt 3 phase drive, great if you have that power available, very bad if you don't.

All vfd's will require some programming within linuxcnc. You have to setup the min and max speeds, output pins and such. This is different with each machine so there are no canned configs. Its pretty easy to do though and a lot of examples out there.

More
05 Jun 2017 03:19 #94068 by Todd Zuercher
At the time I set up the machine I did not have the programming skills to create my own driver. (Not sure if I possess those skills yet.) And since there were no ready made driver for the drives I was using, and even if there were I wasn't sure if it would have worked for multiple drives. So I felt more confident using the generic Mb2hal driver.

More
05 Jun 2017 05:50 #94071 by devxpy
i'm actually trying to make a lathe for a small scale gearbox industry. so i have all the power and tools needed.
Thats why i am looking for a good reliable vfd. but thanks for the awesome support :)

More
05 Jun 2017 07:43 - 05 Jun 2017 07:45 #94074 by devxpy
@gmouer Can you please provide me with a link to example?
Last edit: 05 Jun 2017 07:45 by devxpy.

More
05 Jun 2017 11:53 #94082 by Todd Zuercher
forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachme...onfig_2014-11-21.zip

My config is rather dirty and complex. As It was my first Linuxcnc installation, and has been modified extensively numerous times over the years.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds