Parker Aries Servo drive with ethernet? Any expierence?

More
06 Jun 2017 15:13 #94177 by MDM3D
I managed to pick up 2 AR-13 servo drives and motors without cables for almost free! I have made one set of cables and am working on the second set.
Has anyone tried hooking these up to linuxcnc?
I can for see several ways of make the drive accept commands from linuxcnc via step direction, analog velocity and possibly Ethernet. Unfortunately I only have 2 so I will have to leave my z as a stepper for now. I am trying to avoid buying a mesa card because the computer I am currently using is a dell SFF and I doubt I could fit a mesa card in there. The drives appear to be fairly smart and I am capable of tuning them individually although I would really like to set up bi directional communication for faults and alarms. My spindle does that and it is a thing of beauty.

I am assuming that I would just use switch to connect the multiple drives to the computer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2017 16:28 #94183 by Todd Zuercher
Mesa cards don't have to be internal to the PC. You can always use an Ethernet or parallel port based Mesa card. (7i90 or 7i92, just to name a couple)

I think those drives only work with step/dir or analog control (I don't think Ethernet or serial is an option, serial is just for configuration of the drives.)

More
06 Jun 2017 17:00 #94186 by Todd Zuercher
Oops the AR-13 manual I googled up must have been for the non Powerlink verson. I don't know if Powerlink Ethernet connection is compatible with Linuxcnc. My guess is no.

More
07 Jun 2017 13:59 #94231 by MDM3D
thanks Todd for the reply I'll see if I can get a hold of parker to learn more about there specific protocols

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds