macmini's pata instead of parallel?

More
26 Jun 2017 09:45 #94970 by andypugh

seems that I can get 7I96 and reuse my macmini over the ethernet?

It ought to work. Have you actually got LinuxCNC running on the hardware yet?

Also have a look at the 7i92 and 7i90HD. The 7i92 effectively gives you a pair of standard parallel port, but with hardware step generation. But you still need breakout board. The 7i76E is more expensive, but includes all the breakout board features, and a lot more IO pins than one, or even two, parallel ports.

But: I don't know if anyone has made a Mac Mini talk to a Mesa ethernet card. (And I don't have any Apple hardware running linux to test it with)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2017 10:49 #94975 by flipflop
no, i haven't yet.
i am not sure why I'd need more ports or pins, I'm not even sure if I need 4 axles ;-).
Their store seems to be the only source of these boards? (shipping costs almost the same amount as the board itself there..)

ethernet is a standard, so I don't see any difficulties there (but I could be wrong).

More
26 Jun 2017 11:05 #94976 by tecno
If you are in Europe the prices from Mesa directly are far more less than buying from a dealer including shipping and taxes.

More
26 Jun 2017 11:11 #94977 by flipflop
Russia. Is it Europe? Or more like Asia? (I'm in the European part of it).
Anyway, I have to make a decision, which card I need.
And I have to decide on the breed of Linux, to start playing with.

More
26 Jun 2017 11:47 #94980 by andypugh

Their store seems to be the only source of these boards? (shipping costs almost the same amount as the board itself there..)

There are other sources. Where are you in the world?

More
26 Jun 2017 13:12 #94986 by tommylight
European part of Rusia is still Rusia, but if you are near a border with Latvia or Lithuania or Finland, find someone there and ship them there, call it a vacation and go get them when they arive there.
Eusurplus.com has them and they do ship promptly if in stock.
I live in Kosovo so i had to order them through a friend in Austria.

More
26 Jun 2017 13:36 #94990 by flipflop
let's say Moscow.
I just recalled that I had successfully used some mail forwarding service in the US. They did it way cheaper than normal eBay merchants. Now it's just the matter of choosing the right board. Mesa's positioning is quite tricky. They have a huge assortment of boards of various kinds, and you can't get the difference between them. It seems that I still need something like 7i76. two boards. way too expensive.
so probably opting for a celeron machine + cheap breakout board.

More
27 Jun 2017 12:28 #95035 by andypugh
The guys at cncclub,ru might be worth asking for advice on where to get hardware.

www.cnc-club.ru/forum/index.php?sid=0050...5d3dd7242fc471cf6bff

They are quuite heavily involved in LinuxCNC, Gcodetools came from there, and the thing that became NativeCAM (I think)

More
27 Jun 2017 12:33 #95038 by flipflop
that's a general link wth session id, what's the name of that guy?
right now I think I'll do without any mesa or other boards. just plain BOB. still have some time to install linuxcnc and choose the face/set up everything, before steppers and spindle arrive.

More
27 Jun 2017 12:40 #95041 by andypugh
I was meaning to point to the whole forum, they are probably more familiar than us with the problems of importing to Russia.
www.cnc-club.ru/forum/

I think you have two possible approaches: PC motherboard with parallel port and BoB or Mac Mini + Mesa 7i92 + BoB.

The first will definitely work. The second is more interesting.

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds