Huanyang VFD RS485 Communication problem

More
01 Jul 2017 19:06 #95268 by shipmodeller
I have a Huanyang VFD ( Who doesn't ) that I am trying to connect into LinuxCNC Ver 2.7+. I followed the instructions, and appear to be getting signals from LinuxCNC on bootup. Great, except, the Huanyang doesn't appear to be responding, and the program poll times out,. I used an oscilloscope and got a very weird waveform. The data from Linuxcnc looks strong, but the data coming from the VFD looks trashy, and the serial converter isn't picking it up,. I had a spare RS232 to RS422 converter, and tried that, but the results were the same. I purposely kept the comm baud rate slow, at 9600. Will pick that up later if this ever works.

By enabling debug on the hal hy_vfd load, I see a hycomm query = 01 01 03 05 00 00 2c 4f
Then, a query-ret = 8
Response_length_calculated = 8
Waiting for message
WAIT_DATA() comms time out.

So, nothing happens... any ideas??

Also, as a side.. if I am getting this bad juju from the comm channel, why is LinuxCNC allowing me to continue... I would think it would put up some flags and say ... Whoah! ... but that is another side. so, if anyone has ideas... I'd appreciate them
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2017 18:22 #95323 by shipmodeller
Problem solved: Idiot move.. I had bought a cheap RS485/422 converter .. that was my issue. it should have been a pure 485 converter. Went to the store, bought a different RS232 - RS485 converter.. a true one, and it worked perfectly. Thanks to all that responded... problem solved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds