Help needed to set up two steppers on one axix (Gantry-hs)

More
09 Jul 2017 13:50 #95539 by aaron
Hi
I am attempting an upgrade of an xyz cnc router, by adding a second motor to the x axis gantry. I can't use the step configuration wizard because there does not seem to be a way of slaving the two motors to one axis. So I am wondering how to go about it. I have found the gantry-hs configuration but I don't understand how to set the pins, motor parameters or anything else without using the configuration tool.

Can I use stepconfig to set up the motors and pins and homing and then copy and past the HAL file from gantry-hs into the configuration folder?

I also want to be able to add a rotary axis attachment at some point.

Could someone give me some pointers.

Thanks

Aaron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2017 02:31 #95572 by Todd Zuercher
Switch to the Master branch of Linuxcnc (verson 2.8-pre). There, configuring more than one motor per axis is possible.

I don't know if Stepconfig is capable of making such a config there either (it might), but I do know that there are sample demo configs there that you can look at to gain insight as to how to setup such a config manually.

Adding a rotary is fairly straight forward and can be done in Stepconfig.

More
10 Jul 2017 05:46 #95577 by rodw
Just check this recent thread.

forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/32990-dual-motor-gantry-setup

After upgrading to master, I would just cut and paste the first joint config and edit it. I think though that some people set up a an X,Y,Z,A machine in stepconfig and edit the A axis

Time to create page: 0.367 seconds