loading and using LinuxCnc

More
23 Jul 2017 13:45 #96313 by ErnieD
I have a Bridgeport EZTRAC that I am getting ready to fire up. I find LinuzCNC intriguing and would like to try it. Problem being, I am not a computer or electronics guru, nowhere close. So I have the following questions:

1. Can I utilize the existing computer board ?
2. Can I add an hard drive to use for storage and booting.
3. After I load LinuxCNC , how do I utilize it?
a. Just load nc programs from my BobCadCam software and go?
b. Do I have to have some sort of drivers ? Other components ?

I cannot think of any other questions at the moment but if anyone takes the time to answer I am sure that will lead to other questions. I would like to learn how to write " Wizards" for holes,slots, keyways , etc. I know that they already exist but would like to exercise my brain to stave off the oldtimers disease that seems to be pending. So fellas , since I am old , 84, please dont beat me up too badly for my amateurish questions.

Ernie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2017 16:04 #96485 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic loading and using LinuxCnc
You probably can't use the existing computer, as it probably isn't a normal PC, but rather a dedicated controller. However I could be wrong. Does it appear to be running a standard operating system?

You probably will need some hardware interfaces to connect a PC capable of running Linux to the existing motor controllers.

Do you know anything about the existing hardware? I would guess that it uses DC brushed servos, but Bridgeport have also used stepper motors (on some Boss models) and brushless servos (on more modern stuff)

Someone here has already done this conversion, and might be able to advise:
forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cnc-machines/26797...rt-eztrak-conversion

More
27 Jul 2017 02:26 #96527 by ErnieD
Replied by ErnieD on topic loading and using LinuxCnc
Andy,

Thanks for your reply. I will do some digging. I think the motors are 90 VDC servos but I will verify that.and report back.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds